News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

St Thomas Hospital Badge

Started by myk1066, April 02, 2014, 09:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Yes, I think that Peter is a gold-plated soothsayer! But he says the nicest things about badges...

Having admitted that he is in a class by himself I would like to add a little advice. Owning a 'Nightingale' may well be accepted as the pinnacle by many, but for my money (and I spent a little on mine) only an issued badge, bearing the inscribed name of the original recipient, is worth top-dollar.... Especially if it has the original case. The latter is important as an empty (genuine) case can fetch in excess of a hundred pounds....

But at the end of the day, if an unissued version it has to be, go for it. But be sure that it is genuine. Funnily enough, I have a finding that even an unissued (genuine) badge may soon acquire serious collector status. Maybe best get one as soon as...

Will.

Magpie

Will - this lot of 5 badges is now up to £710 which I certainly could never afford. I guess they will be sold off singly by the winner at a great profit. They are unnamed and don't have pins on back as apparently never issued. The plot thickens!!

myk1066

The seller bought them all for £20!

backman

Quote from: Magpie on June 12, 2014, 10:56:06 PM
Will - this lot of 5 badges is now up to £710 which I certainly could never afford. I guess they will be sold off singly by the winner at a great profit. They are unnamed and don't have pins on back as apparently never issued. The plot thickens!!

Maybe an ethical dealer might win them and sell them off singly at a modest profit? Perhaps on an instalment plan to bring them within reach of the less flush collector?........

backman

...Or alternatively we might just buy the winning ticket on tonights EuroMillions Lottery and buy it out of the estimated £109,000,000 prize? Then with the money left from buying these Nightingales you might like to endow a Gallery,rather like Lord Ashcroft did for Victoria Cross winners)to commemorate the Nurses who wore these badges with pride?
We can always dream and yes I do have my ticket!

markwatson

the 5 badges sitting at £790 atm

wilfb

Oh dear Peter....

I am so busy with badge collections that I don't have time to check ebay... And Pam says that the machine she uses to access the bank has turned up it's toes.... I only have a couple of pounds in my back pocket - (certainly less than 700) so it looks as if I'm out!!

Besides I cant find the lot!! - Help.....

Will.

backman

Magpie

Mike - how do you know how much he bought them for,was it you? If so as suggested can we buy them in instalments?!!
I've got my ticket too so fingers crossed.

myk1066

I asked him about them.  He's got a bargain. 

Magpie

He must have the bargain of a lifetime! Sounds like these people on antiques programmes who get a priceless piece for 10p at a boot fair.

wilfb

Hi.

Having now taken a minute to have a look (thanks for the link Peter) I can most definitely say that they are not for me - no genuine boxes and I just do not like the appearance of the reverse sides/fittings. I will stick to the named versions of known provenance...

I still feel a little guilty at having snatched my SEN version from Peter, well from his wife actually, a few years ago. I did offer it back for the bid price, but, gentleman that he is, Peter felt that there would be another along soon.... If I ever get another (SEN version - named) I intend to offer it to him at the price I originally paid!

But on those lines - I can't help wondering what an SEN version would reach at auction.....

Will.

Magpie

Still at £790. Just checked lottery results so afraid I can't buy them and share with my SoN buddies, only got 1 number!!

myk1066

Maybe we should do a collective bid & share the badges out!

backman

Did you know that the collective noun for Nightingales is a watch?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk