News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Earliest nursing/hospital badge

Started by wilfb, March 09, 2014, 04:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi.

Does anyone know the date of the earliest nursing or hospital badge. I know that the Typhoid medal was awarded in 1894/5 but are there recoded dates of our badges before that?

Will.

backman

One contender may be an arm badge for the order of St Katherine Nurses at Westminster Hospital dated august 1879,see:  http://ihm.nlm.nih.gov/luna/servlet/detail/NLMNLM~1~1~101458374~213146:The-new-Order-of-St--Katherine-for-
Queen Victorias Jubillee Nursing institute first issued badges in 1890
Princess Christians District Nurses first awarded in 1892
I have a 5 year faithful service medal for 1899 from the Norwich and Norfolk staff of Nurses

There are a few other contenders.

johnny4v

"I think one of the earliest must be the Royal Medico Psychological Association (RMPA) in Scotland. I understand that a system from training "Attendants" started at Glasgow Asylum with examinations and the award of badge/ Medal followed in 1891. No doubt some members will remember the RED HANDBOOK! I wish I could find a first edition of this book.

barrysutton

I have a Royal Devon & Exeter 1895.

barrysutton

Other contenders may be M.A.B. and some Mental/Lunatic Asylums.

barrysutton

Manchester Royal Infirmary use a badge depicting the penny of 1868.

wilfb

Hi.

Great - much appreciated. I wonder if you can remind us of your estimate of just how many Nursing/Hospital badges might have been produced Barry?

W.

backman

Whilst browsing the Royal Collections on line(we are off to visit Buckingham Palace this weekend) I found that they actually include a few nursing and hospital badges including a couple from St Katherine's Hospital,see;http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/search?type=All&search=St.%20Katherine%27s%20Hospital&page=1

wilfb

Hello Peter,

Are you practicing a medal receipt or actually getting one?  And are you of the house of Windsor or Co-Saxburg?!!

Anon....

Ps. Very best to Steph.

backman

My wife says she recommended me for an MBE,unfortunately however this was the Miserable B****** Extraordinary!
Merely a weekend away for a bit of culture.Royal Albert Hall,Buckingham Palace,The Savoy,Greenwich market,Covent Garden antiques market, Simpsons in the Strand..... The simple things in life.....my wife however deserves it for putting up with a house full of clutter(or as I prefer to think of it, treasures!)

wilfb

Hi.

Pam's new loom is up.  Can I just say that the metal screws/nuts/bolts for the loom came in a blue biscuit tin marked 'Fortnum & Mason' and bearing the Royal crest!

I trust that members will enjoy a little side-banter on the grounds that Pam is a member and ex-GOSH/Addenbrookes and the kitchen here!

MBE is the wrong gong Peter - we can do better than that!!!

Will.

Ps. Enjoy London.

nursesue

to continue this light hearted banter I'm hoping my Scottish work mates don't give me the OBE - Ordered Back to England! :D ;) ;)

barrysutton

At a conservative estimate there are about 6,000 different Hospital/Nursing badges for U.K. so I think we've all got some way to go, happy hunting folks.

backman

Not sure if we have ever  decided this question but I has recently been asked of me so I'll ask it again.What do we believe is the earliest Nursing badge issued in the Uk(other than religious Order/Pilgrim Token type  badges)? I know that the Nurses who served in the Crimea wore an embroidered sash but I am unaware of a badge as such. I think it will probably be a religious order such as the order of St John the Divine or St Katherines Nurses? I am fairly ignorant about the Guild of St Veronica and Guild of St Barnabus,but believe their badges to be fairly early? The Workhouse Infirmary nurses issued their badges in the 1880s but which were the earliest?

myk1066

Good question,I've no idea myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk