News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Wanted, Lost and Found...

Started by wilfb, February 22, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

hi - have you tried the NMC to see if he's still registered ?? or post a message on the nurses reunited website
http://groups.msn.com/nursesreunited.
I found a long lost colleague on the nhs.net email site
sue

mrs salad

Evening all

Found this forum during a frantic search for information on my lap top tonight. Sorry if it's in the wrong place!!

I trained as a Registered Nurse (1981-1984) then Midwife (1985-1986).
I am applying to do a foundation degree in Early Years, and my Midwifery will count towards the course BUT I need to find out my course content!!
I trained at St Peter's School of Midwifery, which I think was linked to Guildford. Has anyone got any suggestions of how I go about tracking down the required information?
I contacted the English National Board and they said to try and contact where I trained, but isn't it all university based now?

Thanks

backman

I seem to rember that someone was looking for a West Berkshire SON Badge and one has recently appeared on Sally Bosleys site ;http://www.sallysbadges.com/shop/viewphoto.php?shoph=50190&phqu=2

wilfb

Hi,

I was recently sent this badge photograph (among many others for addition to the photo-gallery). Since it was un-named I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Is it a nursing badge - or other. Can you identify it?

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=53.0;attach=12;image

WB.

backman

I have looked at this one before and feel it is highly likely to be a Hospital item.The blue enamel cross is the same design as several other confirmed Nursing badges but the crest has me beaten so far.It is likely to be associated with a founder or benefactor of the organisation but my knowledge of heraldry is sketchy at best.I believe the coronet might denote a baronet but without going to a commercial website or the college of heralds to identify this the only chance of a formal identification may be if a simlar item comes up with established provenance.Good luck!

wilfb

Hi,

I cherished my St Georges school of nursing badge (Tooting) 1989 and always wore it with pride until one day recently I lost it while I was at work. If anyone has one I will pay a good price for it. Is there any way you can put this message on your website? My contact is lizbrinkman@tiscali.co.uk.

Many Thanks.

*This message was received from Liz a little earlier today. We are delighted to be able to help. We have also emailed separately with a few suggestions about retrieving/replacing your badge Liz. Best of luck. Will.

wilfb

A missing badge/replacement sought....

Ann Carey is seeking to replace her missing training school badge.

Ann trained at the North Middlesex Hospital between 1988 & 1991, and her badge was from Enfield & Haringey School of Nursing - which has now changed to North London Joint College of Health Studies. She is currently Matron of a NHS surgical unit.

If you can help in any way please contact us as soon as. Ann is quite willing to purchase a replacement and has obviously put a lot of effort into trying to replace hers. So far without success..

The reverse of the badge was inscribed:-

Ann Carey - with her pin number below the name.
8xxxxxxE

The attached photo was kindly supplied by Peter ('backman') as Ann was unable to supply one. But she was able to supply the details of the badge, which might well help to find it...

NB: If you have a problem viewing the badge photograph you can see the story and photograph on our news page at:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage9.htm

wilfb

Missing badges/replacement sought....

Janet Stirling Koenig (nee Rawlinson) is seeking to replace her missing training school & UKCC Registration badges.

Janet trained at the Oldham School of Nursing - qualifying in January 1988 as RGN. She told us that she is returning to nursing after a break, taking a return to practice course ........ and would like to get replacement badges for when she is back in nursing full time.

If you can help in any way please contact us as soon as. Janet is quite willing to purchase a replacements and is putting a lot of effort into trying to replace hers. So far without success..

The attached photo was kindly supplied by Peter ('backman').

backman

Re: Enfield and Harringey Badge Boko has one on ebay at present-Lot number -390059481690

Direct link here; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390059481690

wilfb

Hi Peter,

And we have now heard from Ann Carey - the nurse who was seeking one of these badges, that she successfully bid and won the last one going on ebay (the one you pointed out above) on the 25th June!

She also said that she would not have known about that sale but for us.  Nice one Peter - one very happy nurse with a very nice badge with no inscriptions - so Ann can now have the badge inscribed with her own details. She has promised a photo when she does.

If you read this Ann - Peter (backman) is the man to thank.... I had to admit that it wasn't me - I am in his deeply in his debt myself.

Seems to help people all the time - anyone want a 'bad back' fixed?!!

Will.

backman

LIZZY

Hi
Do I understand from your message that you are able to advise me where to go for a St Georges school of nursing badge!! I would be sooooo thrilled if you can. Please let me know.
Lizzy

backman

I'm sorry Lizzie but obtaining any missing nursing badge is largely a matter of perseverance and luck.In over 10 years of collecting I've seen seen less than five of the St Georges badge you were wanting to replace ever come up for sale.It really is unfortunate that you missed the recent one on ebay as another one may not come up again for years(equally one may appear this week).Good luck!

wilfb

Hi Lizzy.

I can but echo Peter's (backman) advice. What he says is absolutely true - perseverance and luck! Perhaps a lot of both..

All emails we receive on the subject of lost badges - and we do receive a few, receive a standard reply. Here it is:-

"Hello ....,

Below is some advice to another nurse who has lost her badge, (She followed it and got another!). *This is general advice to anyone who has lost a badge, and any actions you may take must be on the acceptance that all responsibility is entirely your own:-

Sorry you lost your badge but don't give up on it - some things have a habit of turning up. Did it have your name on it?

I, or you, can post a notice on our website forum.  You need to be a member. If you are not you can easily join and post your notice, it is straight-forward and free.

You could also join 'nursingbadges':-

http://nursingbadges.multiply.com/

Also free, and post a notice there... members are enthusiasts and may just be able to help.

Lastly, I would suggest joining ebay and watching http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Medical-Nursing-Red-Cross__W0QQ_sacatZ91325

Just in case it (or another) turns up there. You can also post a free 'want' advert on ebay, but of course have to pay for anything you buy; might have to bid - even if you saw your own badge, and might not win....

There is a final suggestion - ask the issuers - (I know, you did try and found them gone - but someone took them over – find out who) if there is any chance through them. Sometimes there is a member of staff from your old establishment with the new one who may be able to help, having retained an old badge as a momento.

You could also approach the manufacturers and ask them to make a duplicate - but this can be very expensive - even when it works.

*And there may be one other solution - have a replica made privately. One possible method here is to ask ebay member 'alicostelloe' to assist. He can be contacted here:-

http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=alicostelloe&frm=3692&iid=-1&de=off&redirect=0

You will need to be a member of ebay and sign in.  Please remember – we cannot accept any responsibility for any actions you may take.

To summarize: Try our forum (or ask me to do it for you); try nursingbadges; try ebay.  And, I am not joking - try the hospital laundy service if you think that it went there.

Fingers Crossed - hope that the reply helps.
Best of Luck, .... "

And very finally - remember what Peter said - it really might be a very long time before another genuine badge turns up - but equally ..."one may appear this week."

Will.
We will be posting a full article as soon as it can be completed - but meanwhile the above may help.

GS

Just out of interest, Schools of Nursing stored quite a number of badges ready for each award ceremony. In addition to this many badges were left unclaimed because some people did not turn up to receive them. This also applied to hospital certificates which had been prepared with the names of qualifying students. When the Schools amalgamated with the Universities some establishments transferred everything, whilst others did not. However, if people are in search of hospital badges it might be worth writing to the Schools of Nursing within the Universities to ask. The only draw back is that there will probably be a hefty charge. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk