News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

London Hospital Badge

Started by myk1066, August 17, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Hi Sue
Ill load one later of the hallmarks, I know the letter L has a fancy loop at the top of it.
Mike

Sarah Rogers

after supper im will look up in my  little silver mark book, sounds nearer the mark on my letter... how much does it weigh?

myk1066

Not sure about the weight, is that important?

Sarah Rogers

only because it be lighter if a more recen badge..just interesting thats all...also please can you weigh the SRn version, and I can weigh mine(1984) as I have a finding that they got a bit lighter-manufacturers changed.
Fancy L is the year after mine ...1985.

myk1066

Ok Lizzie, the RN version does feel lighter than the older version I have in my collection.  Do you have the EN version Sue?

Sarah Rogers

backman

Very simply the L and Birmingham hallmarks narrow this one down to either 1960 or 1985 depending upon the font and shape of base.I would suspect the later perhaps?
Lots of good little books such as Millers or Jacksons which detail the different marks,all invaluable for dating many badges otherwise unmarked.Very nice acquisition!

myk1066

Thanks for that Backman.  Ill upload a pic of the hallmarks but it won't be today as I'm on a long day!  I weighed them last night & each badge weighed 15g, does that seem right?  Not sure if the scales were correct

Sarah Rogers

Hi, as SEN training didnt start unitl later in the 60's ..and curly L is the same style as my own badges hm i feel it is probably /likely to be the 1985 one.

nursesue

alas i don't have a LH SEN badge but i think it looks stunning

myk1066

Do you have the Nightingale SEN Sue?

nursesue

alas nor that one either Mind you it took me about 5 years to get the SRN version but i do have some lovely SEN badges from other hospitals including the lovely green fife thats just gone on

myk1066

Hi guys.
I've posted a pic of the London EN badge, obverse, showing the HM, on the gallery.
Cheers
Mike

Sarah Rogers

Hi, Mike I hope you saw the  answers in the latest article that Will editted etc onto SON?- about dates of SEN at the London?

myk1066

I did, many thanks Lizzie.  Excellent article by the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk