News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Pembury Hospital-new history

Started by backman, June 21, 2013, 09:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Sarah Rogers

Thanks peter..we visit the new hospital rather frequently at the moment...and you cannot go into the chapel..locked up, we never knew it was there before cos it was right behind the old workhouse buildings...where my husband ad our lads were born.
They do have a time line in the corridor..histrical, and also have moved the foundation stoe which the queen mum unveield at the posh t wells hospital , to the new grounds( the old t wells hospital may have been founded by the great and good!...but latterly /last 10 years or so has been known unfortunately as " the kent and snuff it"!..and appose to its real name the kent and sussex!... as I had an awful expeirnece there lasting many weeks, and others didt survive it is  aname that has stuck locally...

backman

Unfortunately we may all be dependant upon the local variations of the dear old NHS.My own employer( for one more week!) is often known as James Bodge it Hospital rather than the more dignified James Paget.

wilfb

Hi.

Mr Weeks deserves a medal for saving some more of our history.

Dumping any of the same should perhaps be regarded as vandalism and made a criminal offence!  A bit strong maybe, but we might preserve more knowledge of who we were and where we came from...

Will.

Sarah Rogers

I know that in the past it had happened, but too think that in 2008 record dumping was still going on...criminal, .. i look forward to seeig the boook although this article didt get too our local paper...and we are only 9 miles from the hospital!..and its the same paper group....

backman

There are an increasing number of books and publications on the History of different hospitals,many published locally to the hospital in question.Some are quite detailed and academic,whilst others are less so.I try and pick up these where I can especially for hospitals of interest to me but it can be difficult to know of these unless I find them by accident. Is there any worth in a book review section for these so that members can try and hunt them out if they want? If so I will make a trip to my library annexe(the loft!) and put some titles on here?

Sarah Rogers

SOUNDS A great idea... and I have ordered this book/suggested it tobe bought by our library service

wilfb

Hello Again.

Yes, we can do that Peter. Actually we already have a section with several books already added from Barry Sutton's contributions - we had a problem which is now resolved I think. When we get back from holiday (3weeks) I will run a test and possibly open in perhaps a month or 5weeks or so. Barry has been waiting quite long enough I think.

Keeping in touch will be much more difficult for us for 3/52.

Very Best,
Will.

barrysutton

Wold you like somemore books for the bibleography, nursing, hospital histories, please advise I think I have quite a lot.

wilfb

Hi Barry. Greetings.

Yes, but wait a little until we get back from holiday, as I used your original list when constructing the bibliography which is outstanding. I still have your first list on file. When you can see the original you will have a better idea of what to send.... About four weeks before I can be ready.

Very best to you and yours, especially your daughter and wish her well for her trip.

Will.

barrysutton

If your on facebook look up Ruth Sutton she's curerently doing a fairly regular blog entitled 'IntheshoesofRuth' about her experiences out in S. Korea.

markwatson

hi barry I recently won the RAF nurse training school badge on ebay was pleased what I paid fot it do you know if they trained enrolled nurses and if so was there a badge hope your enjoying the sun

jock57

I have collected old stuff that was being thrown away, old drawing plans of hospital, slides of training school being built and nurses in school from the sixties or seventies, old wards etc, some old application forms for psychiatric nursing which make some interesting reading!
       I find it all interesting, there is always something new to find out. Is there any easy way to convert slides to computer? does anyone know?
       very good article - will need to get the book.

wilfb

Hi Jock,

A serious question. Do you have a scanner? You might have a slide holder with it - but if not just try a sample first direct onto the plate. But please don't throw any history in the bin Jock, someone will take it - me if it is original and no one else want's it and doesn't cost the earth to move.  But I feel sure that there are collectors out there who will want the things.

Contact Jock first.
Will.

Sarah Rogers

Hi Jock... is it of tunbridge wells /pembury or other hospitals? Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk