News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Design in history - Latin and religious mottos

Started by nursesue, December 16, 2007, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

As we all know Juno Lucino ,the goddess of childbirth, appears on the State/Certified Midwives badge. In 1967 the design of the Royal College of Midwives( RCM) changed and in the centre shield is the Star of Bethlehem ( or the Morning Star) which is the sign of birth.. In a scroll below the shield is their motto – Vita Donium Dei – Life is the Gift of God

Here are a few more Latin mottos with their translation

Nos Ministamus Deus Saret-We minister, God heals-Beckett Hospital Barnsley

Salus Populi [on Southport SONs & Town Badge] I understood to mean either 'Save or 'Serve' the people.   Salus Populi is literally health of the people, but in the Christian religion it is often taken as protectress, associated with the Virgin Mary or Madonna

Caritas christi urget nos - the charity of Christ urges us St Vincent's Orthopaedic hospital and I believe this appears on the Myddleton Square hospital badge as well

Semper ad Suprema-Always the Highest/Best/Most heavenly (take your pick) -Leicester General Hospital
Nos Nostraque Deo-We and ours to god-Plaistow Trained nurse

Labor fidelis-Faithful to work-West London Hospital

deo dante damus- God gives to us that we may give to others - R Jones & A Hunt orthopaedic hospital Oswestry.
Many thanks to colleagues from the Nursing Badge website for some of the translations
sue

wilfb

Another of serious interest to this topic Sue.

Perhaps we can ask Peter (Backman) if he would consider adding a new topic here on nursing badge translations at some point - with a link directly to the 'nursingbadges' site within the topic. Or maybe just adding a link from here to the appropriate area of nursingbadges..

eric

Have acquired a badge but wonder if anyone can help translate motto.

It says "ARMORUM CURA NAVIUM TUTELA"

Thanks
Eric
Eric

backman

This really is a challenge but taking the possible meanings for the latin words,here goes.
Armorum--Arms or Armoury
Cura  --Tend ,care
Navium--Of ships
Tutela --Protection

I would suspect some sort of Military/Naval item but possibly more related to weaponry??

backman

Have since found another meaning for Armorum as being Joining Together,Don't know if that helps at all?

eric

Thank you Peter,  I purchased lapel badge as INO (Irish Nurses Organisation, apparently). BUT I have few reservations as to it being Nursing or indeed Irish.
First it has a Crown on Top, (hence unless it was before 1922, no Irish badge ever would have a crown). Secondly it seems to display anchor and what appears like a large dog. Again neither nursing related. I'm not sure what I bought but it definately does not appear to be as described.
Wonder what INO stands for, it relation to motto you have so ability translated.

Any suggestions.
Eric

backman

Hi Eric,I agree that whilst there is an INO badge this sounds like something else altogether.Does it have any age to it as I've found an organisation for the Inspectorate of Naval Ordnance during WW2.It actually sounds quite rare and you may well be able to identify this through a badge dealer such as Bosleys or Boko Jnr, http://www.armourer.co.uk/.   There is also a military magazine ,the Armourer which has a identification service.good Luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk