News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Call the Midwife/Uniform

Started by Sarah Rogers, February 04, 2013, 11:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi, I have been very much enjoying this BBc programme, rather nostalgic for me as I did some of my District nursing in Poplar..albeit about 25 years after this programme was set..however last nights (and 1 episode in the last series) "upset me " whilst described as a fictional story by the BBC the depiction of the uniform wasnt correct:

Hat- we never had that sort of lace...Sisters worn lovely lace hats, ,,no buckles..nor matron...we didnt wear buckles at the London...petersham usually only for itu/xray etc over white scrubs type dresses.
Brown shoes, ..i think that the black ones went out with the redesigned dresses of sir norman hartnell
Straps on aprons...not for staff nurses...only students ( and those went late 80's when uniform redsegined again by sir Norman!
Collar studd....not properly dressed without it!......very sloppy! Students wore pale purple/white strip

and as for that strange green uniform...not at the London (whitechapel)...it is thought that this was worn at Mile End hospital possibly until it merged with Whitechaepl site in the mid 70's.....
sadly the wrong uniform detracted...... and the building (now awaiting redevoplement so standing empty ) looks nothing like the one used.....sorry!..... I was so proud of my lovely uiform....if i can remember how to attach i may justmanage a photo/two of how it should have looked...(although I eventually rebelled like many and wore my  hat the closed not open and correct way!)
Lizzie  

barrysutton

Hello,
I thought it was a little strange that the midwifes are shown wearing there UKCC badge as a cap/hat badge.

Sarah Rogers

hi, yes the old gnc badge on their caps and  apprently Jenny trained in berkshire..but no berks badge/gnc bDGE ON HER uniform... and our dresses were purple striped with white.....
Lizzie

nursesue

I always thought other uniforms look great My general student nurses uniform consisited of the national  "j cloth" blue and a disposable hat with navy blue stripes either 1-3 depending on which year you were in
Have to say i really enjoy the series, even if it does clash with Top gear ( yep am a secret petrolhead!!)so have to record it - I'm not a great fan of Miranda but think she's briliant in this

wilfb

Hi.

I think that I am well out of my depth here, but last night on a Sky TV channel (Sky Livingit) there was a modern documentary series called "Nurses". Quite apart form anything else several of the nurses appeared to be wearing what appeared to be hospital badges - some good shots but too fast in passing for me to identify, maybe someone can elaborate - it might be worth a look.

Will.

suewan

I loved the lilac uniform worn in call the midwife....

My student uniform was of a blue and white striped,  very thick material with a cotton lining.....white apron.....self coloured belt until 3rd year then you could wear a navy belt....couldn't wear a buckle until qualified......detachable collars that held together..and I say that loosely,with a stud fastener that always pinged apart at the most unfortunate moments..usually when doing the Senior Nursing Officers ward round......the collars came back from the laundry so stiff they would rip your neck apart by the end of your shift,black hosiery and black shoes..that must not make a noise when you walk nurse.... ;D

Oh and those wonderful inventions..paper  caps....that you had to put together yourself and no matter how many studs and clips you used on them they still managed to fall apart and off your head.....

Also on the topic of call the midwife I had the great pleasure to meet Jennifer Worth many years ago as she lived not far from me.....(I no longer live in Liverpool having moved 'Down South' upon returning from S Africa )

nursesue

I suddenly felt old today i was talking about thE uniforms with my colleague over a cuppa this am and she asked me who Norman Hartnell was !! Wouldn't mind but she's only 4 years yonger than me :-X

Sarah Rogers

I get that finding when doctors 9and some young nurses ) look as young as my sons..18 and 21!    of dear?

wilfb

Dear Ladies.

You should not feel old - those Dr's and nurses really are as young as they look - the danger lurks when you are stopped whilst driving by an apparently 10 year old traffic cop.  Talk to him only as if he is a knowledgeable adult and you are in the one in the wrong! Children usually appreciate adults accepting that they do not know it all (if anything!).

But - have you ever/never - maybe as a ward sister - persuaded a young doctor to change something which he/she has got wrong? And we all know that he/she had it wrong because they lacked the experience of the consultant you well knew would do things another way or reach a different conclusion in the circumstance? Age before beauty!

And Norman Hartnell - who was he anyway....

Will.  

wilfb

Hi.

Here, I think, is the link to the 'nurses' Sky TV programme. It's documentary. 8.30pm. Wednesdays. Repeated Fridays I believe:-

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/2207/33

It seems to be Southmead Hospital, Bristol. Quite good. Plenty of nursing badges!  I'm becoming quite a TV addict - maybe have to give up schoolsofnursing!!!! Maybe.....

Ps. You only get the TV guide on the link.

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk