News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

When did you do your training.....

Started by suewan, February 02, 2013, 04:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi Myk1066.

That would be seriously good - I have an empty column just waiting for a new photograph - and of course we can make our gain a double by adding a photo gallery. Named would be absolute magic. But please don't show anything on the forum......  We always get a fair number of increased visits when we send a Round-Robin with a good news page...

Will.

digbycadet

Quote from: barrysutton on February 04, 2013, 03:02:43 PM
Trained in the Army as an Operating Theatre Technician (OTT - we where), qualified in 1976, I'm still working but now in the N.H.S. now titled as a R.O.D.P. (Registered Operating Department Practioner), the job's changed out of all recognision, whats disposables?
I joined the RAMC in 1966 and started to work in theatres in 1967 with a view to OTT training.
After a short time time I decided that I prefered my patients awake and talking so changed to Mental Health nursing until demob in 1975. I have since worked in the NHS and retired as a CPN.
Prior to joining the army I was a hospital cadet straight from school in 1962.
I remember early demonstrations of disposable equipment and we joked that we would soon have disposable nurses.
Too close for comfort these days?

henry

Hi Lord Anthony

Did you know Richard Hulbert, we did our SRN training at Royal Tunbridge Wells School of Nursing in the mid 1950's I was a Staff Nurse in Casualty West Kent General in 1957 for six months before doing my national service.

I lost track of Richard who was already a RMN he returned to Oakwood. If you have any news I would love to hear it.

Henry.

Sarah Rogers

Id have assumed that youd have been allowed off national service for being a nurse?...or did you choose to do it?...as there was also a shortage of nurses then? Lizzie

helenmar

My nurse training was at Bristol Royal Infirmary 1976 -1979. After getting my SRN I worked days with orthopaedic rehabilitation, then nights on a general surgery ward, then days and nights on Cardiac surgery. I then moved to Sweden, had a couple of children and  got my Swedish degree in nursing and now work as a night sister in a private hospital in Stockholm called Sophiahemmet.

Magpie

Hi Myk 1066
I was Ward Sister on Fagge Ward 1967-68, TURP days pretty frenetic there too also Mr Walker Brash's surgical days which involved giving some patients ox bile enemas pre op, never understood why, asked him one day and got frosty reply that it was his pre op method!! Also had another lovely Charge Nurse on the ward, retired a couple of years after I left -  was his surname Bugg? I lived in in one of the huts with 2 other Sisters, we all got fleas from the feral cats living underneath. At the changeover of the Housemen I had a new one come onto the ward, 3 weeks later we were engaged and had 35 years of happy marriage. The sewing room even did the alterations to my bargain wedding dress bought for £1 in Bourne and Hollingworth's sale!! We both moved to London, he went to Lewisham and I went to St James' in Balham. Heigh Ho happy days.

jock57

I trained in Law Hospital in Carluke, Scotland as Enrolled Nurse and Orthopaedic Diploma there(1976 -1980).that hospital now closed and then moved to Basingstoke and did RMN at Park Prewett hospital. that also closed about 16/17 years ago, I am still working full time as RMN in Basingstoke - now in my 37th year of nursing, still going strong so far!  hoping to win the lottery soon :) - I still collect memorabelia for nursing and historical items about hospitals as a hobby. difficult to come accross badges
but I am always on the lookout at fairs etc.

blossomtoes12

TRAINED 1966 TO 1969 THEN A YEAR STAFFING AT EDINBURGH ROYAL INFIRMARY. ALSO DID MENTAL HEALTH IN 2001/2002 AND GOT DIP RMHN. HAVE NEVER STOPPED NURSING. RETIRED 2011 BUT DO SOME BANK NURSING.
to err is human, to forgive divine.

maudie

Hi All.
I trained at Bristol Royal Infirmary from 1959 to '62. Got married and went to Cyprus and worked in the families medical centre there. went on to Germany and worked in the army  medical centres in Celle, Werl, Rheindahlen, and forces boarding school sick bay in Hamm, Prince Rupert school, Rinteln, Windsor school Rheindahlen  and volountary work with SSAFA in Singapore . I can honestly say that in 40 odd years finding the drum I was never without a job - whether I wanted one or not!

helenmar

I did my training at Bristol Royal Infirmary 1976 - 1979 and am interested in everything concerning this school. I have been living in Stockholm for the past 34 years, have a Swedish registration and work as a night sister in a private hospital, Sophiahemmet. I am available on hcmarin@hotmail.com if anyone is interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk