News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

nurses registration fees

Started by crumbun, June 03, 2012, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crumbun

Does anyone remember when nurses paid a one off registration for life? I have just had a communication from the NMC stating that they needed to raise the fee to £120 and would like it to be linked to inflation.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the NMC to follow the BBCs' footsteps and relocate out of the capital in order to save money. I understand that as nurses we need a regulatory body but I feel that our registration fee could be better spent than offices in an expensive city in a prime location.

Who regulates the regulators when regional pay may become the norm but we still have to pay the same registration fees a those in more affluent areas such as london, will the NMC reduce the rates for those whose salaries are reduced?

With health authorities making nurses redundant are the NMC finding a reduction in finding and ensuring that their coffers remain full. This may seem tardy but I feel this price hike is a step too far and encourage people to fill in the survey on the NMC website.

myk1066

Re the proposed hike, make your vote count, sign the e-petition, follow the link below & then forward it to your family & friends.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34101

Sarah Rogers

hi, i tried to sign it(whilst medically retired i  no longer have registration i still agree that the hike is far too much)  and it seems to have closed on 21/05/2012?
Lizzie

nursesue

its a 60% increase for a profession who haven't had a pay rise in about 3 years!! In the process of signing petition You can also go to the NMC site and follow the links to complete an online survey about this - be warned some of the questions are in appropriate and I stated as much in the comments box I was under the impression that the last increase was to cover a shortfull in funds If you can't afford London real estate prices move don't put increase costs onto us!!!
Oh and don't meander into the in the misconduct bit cos thats really scarey!!!!!  >:(

myk1066

The e-petition closes 2013, I made that mistake, when I viewed the petition again, of thinking it was closed, trick of the eye.

Ian Rutter

It is disgraceful increase, I remember when you paid every three years, and that was bad enough. When it use to be before that you paid once for life and in many cases the hospital paid it for you. I suggested to the NMC that could you pay it monthly like everything else, told not possible.

blossomtoes12

I too have the SRN certificate stating member for life Ho Ho Ho. I am actually RGN trained in Scotland but when i wanted to work in London in 1972 when BNA started I was told I would need a reciprocal registration for England and Wales, the wee woman in the reception told me I was considered foreign because I trained in Edinburgh as you can imagine I was not best pleased.
to err is human, to forgive divine.

Sarah Rogers

Ian Rutter

When I trained and past my State Finals, you paid it once and that was for life, nurses at the hospital I trained at, the wonderful Parkside Hospital in Macclesfield, alias no longer here, told the tale that the Hospital use to pay for your registration. Then it went to 45 for three years and so on, till now every year. The NMC are treating nurses as cash cows, we have no choice but to pay, but what do nurses really get out of the NMC. If we got a pay rise each year it would not be so bad, but I have not had a rise in three years.

nursesue

as I understand it the fees are rising to £100 and I too haven't had a pay rise in 3 years and not likely to get one any time soon. I qualified in 1983 with the GNC and was told its a life time payment but I do believe the Scottish system at that time was different and they had a "live" register -meaning that the nurses paid a yearly fee. Blossomtoes a good friend of mine had the opposite problem Born and raised in Glasgow she trained in London and had similar problems when applying for posts in Edinburgh She can still recall the shock of paying a yearly registration fee!!
I am worried that the differences between England, Wales and Scotland could rear its ugly head again if Alex Salmond gets his way. I still say if the NMC can't manage its books then they should move out of their prime London office location and go somewhere where they can manage. It seems as if they need the money to reduce the backlog of waiting compalints against nurses. If nurses don't get a decent payrise then more of us will resort to bank work and extra hours to make ends meet and resulting in tiredness and possible mistakes - end result the NMC finding a hearing!!!!!!!! Vicious circle springs to mind. OK rant over  >:( ;D

digbycadet

I'm now happily retired and have allowed my registration to retire with me.
I paid a one off fee for each of my GNC qualifications thinking that was the final payment and like many of us I was not happy when the UKCC arrived and started to charge again.
As an RCN steward I met nurses from all specialities all with interesting stories to tell.
It was widely believed that the UKCC was making so much money from nurses that they were able to buy property in London to avoid having too much in the bank.
The scale of charges and proposed increases by the NMC is very unfair given the freeze on pay and from my observation the nurses doing jobs on lower grades than we used to.
It seems that wherever you look the solution to all situations is take more money off the workers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk