News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Recording the past.

Started by Eastlodge, November 05, 2007, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastlodge

Hi everyone,
I have written a book about my training (1975 - 1978) and my early days as a "rookie" Staff Nurse.
I very much doubt I will do anything with it. However, it was extremely cathartic and helped me put it all together.
Revisiting this 'era' was remarkably enjoyable. I did not stint on honesty and realism, as a result it possibly does not make for "easy reading"?
The few people who have read it have all been left with the impression that despite the hardships, poor resources and difficult nature of my chosen profession, I loved it.
At the end of the day it has been therapeutic. It took 6 months but that time and energy was so worth it.
Everybody should write a book!!

backman

Well done Eastlodge,same era as me.Can I ask is it published,if not what do you intend to do with it to make it accessible? Also ,where did you train?

Eastlodge

Hi!

I do not intend to do anything with it at present! I'd like to but I'm not sure where I want to go with it.
It'll never be a Top Tenner (ho ho), but I do get the impression that there are quite a few who'd love to "share" it.
I have toyed with self publication but that can be risky; I do not want a pile of books lying under my bed!
I have put bits upon my website but that is no good really because it is a whole work. It's called "Always Never the Same".
I trained in Gloucester - the "home of modern psychiatry" according to some!
Thanks for responding.

eric

Wow!!  :-X You've written a book and its not published BUT mostly on your web site (have I got this right?)
Now what is your web site so I can read it. Like Backman its my era as well (even if I'm over here in Northern Ireland) and I'd love to read your experiences and even your advice on how to go about writing personal 'nursing history'??
Is it in word document? Perhaps could be downloaded as file document somewhere, if its not breaking copyright etc. ;)
Eric

wilfb

Yes, I would be very interested in reading your book too. Let's have a taster! (But in your own time). If you put up your site link I promise not to delete it as opportunistic advertising (as long as your site does not display unacceptable adverts).

Did you know that you can publish your own e-book? And there are sites which 'publish on demand' - sell your work as hard copy printed when someone orders a copy.  But maybe the easiest way, as Eric suggests, is for you to create a PDF file copy which others can download.  Sell it via e-bay!! And no, I don't get commission.

If you don't want to put up the link publicly right now why not message the link to interested members right here on the forum - only the people messaged would see it. Whatever - you already have interest. And I for another would like to see it.

WB.

backman

Me too! History is not just about some of the published hospital histories ,but rather the real experiences and recollections of healthcare staff. Another benefit of the internet is our access to just such stories and I would say there is particular interest in the psychiatric hospitals,as so many have now disappeared.Go for it !

Eastlodge

I am really grateful. You have given me something to think about. I must confess that it is a shame just having it sat there.
There is a unique way of downloading per individual for a fee of £5.00 which I am also investigating.
As for my website - sorry, I get a bit modest about it because it is actually very popular (Much to my continued amazement!).
www.roah.co.uk - enjoy if you will!!
Once again - many thanks people. I will keep you informed.

wilfb

Good Morning!

Thanks for the reply and the link - and information about the book. Enlighten me if you would (please) - are you the ex-cadet nurse on your website?  I did e-mail the site some days ago asking about the author of that entry, but perhaps the mail 'etherized'. They sometimes do...

I ask because I am about to add a section where ex-cadets will hopefully get together and share experiences/reminiscences and would dearly love the ex-cadet on ROAH to join in. Any chance you can fix that?

The book - well, I think that you should think about letting your supporters here have one for free, or certainly at cost.  Being mercenary (this site provision is free - compliments of myself - content by contributors) I would certainly expect a freebie download in return for the free advertising....

How sayeth you, Eastlodge?!

WB.

Eastlodge

I sayeth - what on earth have I got a website for? ::)
Whilst it will never make a fortune - I think perhaps a few shekels here and there might help.
I would warn anybody now - if it comes to it - that the language is VERY strong at times (surely this is to be expected) and the imagery quite "graphic". Sort of Mail on Sunday stuff!!!!

wilfb

Hello Again Eastlodge,

Only you can answer your question - what do you have a website for?
Am I the ghost of Christmas past!

You have not answered my question about the cadet on your site?

How about it - a free book for a fiver...  We carry your link and we get a free download - I donate your fiver directly to Gt Ormond St Hospital fo Sick Children? Non negotiable.

C'mon - it's nearly Christmas and I can't find my white sheet... But I could try - think about those kids - it's pure blackmail....

Best,
WB.

Eastlodge

I am sure that "something can be arranged".
Having given it further though; I would be most happy to keep you in the loop, seems like a decent bunch here!!!!

I have decided to use ROAH as a springboard for the book - assessing interest etc etc.
This 'arena' has provided some useful feedback and I feel it represents the value of such forums. A previous manifestation of ROAH had a very active forum, which was (apparently) sadly missed!
You guys could be instrumental in the revival of "Always Never the Same".

I'll send you something wilfb.

Eastlodge

Last word on my book. (Thank goodness they say!)
If the interest is "genuine" then I will certainly proceed.
However - this doesn't exclude a sample.
Best wishes to all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk