News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Value of badges

Started by Magpie, September 01, 2011, 11:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

I am still in shock at seeing price that the "London Hospital badge went for on ebay - £295.50 for anyone that didn't see it. I know that it was a 1940's era but wow!! Congratulations to the lucky person that got it I am very envious!!

wilfb

Well, yes - a very nice badge - hopefully for someone to treasure. But it did break (I believe) a piece of nursing history, in that the separately accompanying GNC badge went to a another bidder for only £25 pounds or so including postage. There is never a guarantee of course that the second badge (GNC) would have been obtained for a similar sum (maybe £330) for a complete badge 'set' - or even at all, and of course not everyone collects sets (or can afford to).

I think, however, that it is a great shame that sellers separate these badges - sometimes accidentally - sometimes with the profit motive, but in doing so a solid piece of nursing history is lost. Probably for ever. The greater gain might be in selling sets - to the possible benefit of everyone. Perhaps we should start a 'rejoin split badges' campaign. I have personal (and pleasant) recent experience of managing to 'rejoin' two pieces of Halifax history thanks to the seller being awake and taking the trouble to awaken me also. Be nice if everything worked out so well:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage020.htm

(Bottom Left col).

Still, better not to let greed and jealousy creep in, whoever won the badge has gained a precious piece of history, please don't put it in a box!!

backman

As we have often said on these discussion pages over the years,Value is a very nebulous concept.Ultimately price may be quite different to value.A badge is worth whatever someone is able and prepared to pay on the day.I certainly have paid well over the odds for a badge that I have coveted in the past but to others it may not have appeared to be worth anything other than for any precious metal content.I worry that the rising price of gold might see a rare prize medal go into the "Cash for Gold" smelters!!!!!!!!!!!
I just hope that the purchaser of this particular badge is pleased with their purchase and doesn't really see it as an investment as such ,rather a piece of Nursing history.

nursesue

Thats a lot of money for a badge but as Pete says " a badge is what you're prepared to pay for it" I try to set a limit when i see one I want but usually "outbid rage" gets me and I have been known to go over my limit Would I spend that much on a badge - probably not. However did get the nice Gulson/Coventry Would have liked the recent Bristol but did resist. Myk I know likes to collects sets and admire him for that and I think they should, in an ideal world, stay togther but again its down to money.
Wilf loved your recent news bulletin and read it avidly. I try and stick to my prefered areas of collecting such as Scottish and Brummie badges but as always resolve disappears and temptation kicks in......

katogirly

I am the mad bird who bought the London Hospital badge.

I know I paid more than I should but for me it was a must and I have to admit that I'm in shock as well!
I am a London trained girl who did her SEN training there - have that badge, and then went on to do the SRN training and lost that badge, Just felt bereft without my second badge. It was such a talking piece amongst people as I wore the two together with great pride. I have a bit of history about it from the seller, I would like to think that the lady who was awarded it would be happy in the knowledge it will again be loved and worn with pride by a LH nurse, (if not to scared to wear it now!). I am aware that these badges are much sort after and have waited ages for one to come available and just had to have it. (If I can get over my rashness and wonton looseness with my cash, husband thinks I've lost it!).
Your coments have made interested reading and I thank you for not calling me a complete and utter nutter  ;D!
Yours.
Katogirly.

Magpie

I'm happy for you that you have got back your hospital training school badge, wear it with pride with your other one. Just tell your husband it could have been shoes and a handbag which would have cost money but never given you so much pleasure!! Well done.

wilfb

Magpie!

Telling fibs to cover your tracks! But how right you are....

'Katogirly' has a magical story to tell and I would really like to hear it told - two London Hospital badges - one SEN one Registration, and then to lose one.... I am mesmerized! I am absolutely certain that the original recipient would have approved and I am well content that it is not going to be hidden in a box! (Please do not hide it in your jewellery box - a common target).  I am just so pleased for you!

Wanton! Loose! Rash! Don't even think it - your badge is something to seriously treasure. I hope that your hubby gets over the shock without too much hassle - but then, in the words of someones TV advert - it's because your worth it!

Seriously. You don't need me to tell you what your badge is worth - you obviously know that very well. But I would very much like to hear your story. I do know of Nightngale nurses who have both SEN and Registration, but I have never come across a London Hospital nurse with both.

Please, tell us about it.

Will.

Ps. Katogirly.  I have added the badge photographs both here on the forum (log-in to view - Click to enlarge/reduce) and in the English Nursing badge galleries. Best Regards, W.

sye1969

Hi,
I am very new to forum's, never been on one before, i am a website designer/ computer programmer, but anyway, when i was 8 years old, now 41, i found a shoe box with various bits in it, i kept it right until now, and i was going through some things in the loft and came across the box again, inside it there were a few things, but the main thing is a hospital badge, i would like to know if i can find info on it, or indeed if it is worth anything or not, the badge is i think solid bronze, brass or copper, maybe you could tell me, i will give you a good descripton.

On the front it has a mule with a man leaning over to help a person laid on the floor, the words surrounding the badge is,

VADE - ET - TU - FAC - SIMILITER

On the rear is,

a pin which goes into a secure twist lock type thing, the name Lucy Ellison and under that it says, certificated nurse with the number 1123 underneath, around the outside it says, MANCHESTER ROYAL INFIRMARY - 1752 -

Hope you can help.

Thanks simon

sye1969

Quote from: sye1969 on September 14, 2011, 04:58:02 PM

Hi,
I am very new to forum's, never been on one before, i am a website designer/ computer programmer, but anyway, when i was 8 years old, now 41, i found a shoe box with various bits in it, i kept it right until now, and i was going through some things in the loft and came across the box again, inside it there were a few things, but the main thing is a hospital badge, i would like to know if i can find info on it, or indeed if it is worth anything or not, the badge is i think solid bronze, brass or copper, maybe you could tell me, i will give you a good descripton.

On the front it has a mule with a man leaning over to help a person laid on the floor, the words surrounding the badge is,

VADE - ET - TU - FAC - SIMILITER

On the rear is,

a pin which goes into a secure twist lock type thing, the name Lucy Ellison and under that it says, certificated nurse with the number 1123 underneath, around the outside it says, MANCHESTER ROYAL INFIRMARY - 1752 -

Hope you can help.

Thanks simon

P.S.
If i knew how to get pictures on here i would let you see it too, it is in mint condition, and the size is, 2 mm thick, and 38mm round.

wilfb

Hello Simon.

Having been something of a laggard today - I do apologize (I can only blame my wife!) - I will do my best to make amends. Is this the badge below? (You will have to be logged in to view the photograph).

I will mail you the detail of posting the badge if you wish, but:-

Basically you can use badges up to 128KB per post/4 per post: Advice - make sure that the picture is within 650px square.

Put it where you want it: Advice - I put them on the Desktop:

Click 'Additional options' below the text panel: Advice - browse to the photograph and select it.

Then simply 'Preview' and or 'Post' via the bottom buttons. **'Post' to fix it!

That should be 'bingo' - like this....

Then Click the photograph to enlarge/reduce sizes.

Ps. I have stolen the photograph from Peter 'backman'! He will know a lot more about about the badge/value than I ever could - no doubt he will add when he arrives. If you want the details to add to the photograph galleries please let me know. You could perhaps place your own, plus the reverse?

sye1969

Hi Wilf,

Thank you for getting back to me and leaving a reply to my questions, and yes, this is definately the nurse badge in question, identical to the picture you added.
Will keep my eyes peeled for anymore info regarding the badge.

Best regards

Simon

backman

Hi Simon,
The badge in question was awarded to nurses who trained and qualified at the Manchester Royal Infirmary and features the Good Samaritan in the act of relieving the wounded traveller.It is taken from the Corporate Seal of the hospital which was commissioned in 1843.The latin inscription around the edge Vade et tu fac similater means go thou and do likewise.The number to the rear would identify the awardee and date of issue but you might try getting in contact with the hospitals nursing fellowship to follow up this further; http://www.cmft.nhs.uk/your-trust/our-history/nurses-fellowship.aspx
As to value,yes these are collectable but MRI badges were issued for many years and come up relatively frequently so often don't fetch too high prices unless on a good day at auction.Check out other parts of this forum for information on badge values but I'd say anywhere between £20 and £50 as an estimate.Most collectors here value the badge for it's history rather than financial value,Enjoy!

backman

Have since found the detail that the presentation of badges for the MRI began circa 1927.

sye1969

Hi Backman,

I do not need the badge backman, i was 8 year old now 41 when i found it in a box with some other bits, your replys are greatly recieved.

don't really know what to do with it,

thank you
simon

Sarah Rogers

Hi katogirly, just to say that as a londoner also and at a recent reunion ( and on the London hospital facebook page book , please do join and come to a reunion!) there was much talk about your purchase......but if you report the loss to the london ( the league of nurses)you can be given someone elses after 1 year !!(they have lots in the safe, as they are "meant"!!! to go back once we die! ...... I never remmeber seeing an sen with your style badge....
do come to a reunion, we are all ages, and ut can count towards "prep" .... Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk