News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Photographic Badge Archive

Started by backman, October 31, 2007, 06:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

On other sites I have previously suggested that as many of the wide variety of nursing badges and medals which have been awarded over the last 150 years should be formally recorded for history.Whilst the RCN probably have the largest institutional holdings of badges,mostly based around the Meglaughlin collection,the majority of known examples are held in private collections or by the recipients or their families.Certainly the RCN do not have a policy which allows them to actively acquire badges other than donations so as Wilf says it is unlikely that a full national collection will ever happen.The next best alternative may be a photographic archive hosted by an academic  body. I will be trying to persuade the RCN,in the first instance,to create such an archive which could be open for any nurse or their family to contribute a digital image for posterity.Events such as RCN congress ,conferences or local events on Nurses day 12th May could allow people to bring their badges along to be added to the record,which could be ackowledged.This would not only add to our overall knowledge of badges issued but also encourage an appreciation of the srt of such badges.I wondered what others think and if anyone would consider setting up local events for May?

wilfb

Once again Peter (backman) is f ighting hard to preserve as much of our nursing heritage as possible. Another of our members (Eric) has recently e-mailed and suggested that we set up a record here on the main schools of nursing site. I am hoping that Eric will contribute to this debate, but in short, an archive of nursing badge photographs is one of our targets. But we are not quite ready yet.

I think that Peter's idea is another of his outstanding efforts. A photograhic record of all nursing badges in the UK might become a possibility if everyone contributed. Peter, you may well prove me both right and wrong. Right now I do not believe a full national collection of actual badges is on the cards. But maybe - just maybe, if we can gather a full photographic record then we may be moving towards a full national collection of actual badges.

I hope that this site will play a full part.  Hopefully Eric will contribute to the debate - Peters ambition certainly points to a way forward.

Wilf.

eric

An excellent idea. I absolutely love looking at everyone's badge pictures on nursingbadges site and on Squirl. I had mentioned to Wilf that while I may never have as extensive collection as most of you, looking at these pictures allows me to feel part of a wider community of likeminded people.

My only comment would be that instead of all images going online that now is time to try to catalogue these images into counties or parts of UK, so that everyone viewing would know where badge from. As Peter and Sue have mentioned in discussion there are many themes and some badges look similar but from different parts of UK and issued at different times.

Wilf in schoolsofnursing site is endeavouring to identify schools in each county / part of UK. However it would be nice to see a gallery arranged in counties / parts so all badges could be included along with dates of issue, and any small amount of information available. While it would be great to see RCN coming onboard with a gallery of this nature, my experience of nursing bodies does not provide much confidence, hence, we could start ball rolling. There certainly is a massive collection of badges by members of both sites. Whoever takes this on (Wilf and/or Peter) would need to ensure that all images are similar size etc; so perhaps people could send pictures of badge(s) to moderator of gallery, and they could ensure all images in correct county/part and all images consistent for size etc. (for example I can not submit on nursingbadges site any more images as I've reached my limit apparently, hence I'm stuck)

Peter suggestion of trying to get RCN to open up an event in May to allow people to 'see' what they have, would be excellent idea and indeed if comes about, would be a great meet for all members of these groups.
I'd love to meet up again, not only to view others collections but also to be enthused and inspired by everyone's passion of collecting. Perhaps Sue could gave a talk on 'Themes'; Wilf and Peter on setting up and maintaining a web site and problems encountered, the joys and frustrations.

I do believe these 2 groups are developing (I hate the word evolving) and changing and each change / development is adding to body of knowledge about badges and their history. For that alone may I thank everyone who contributes to the sites. I look forward to what comes next. As someone once said "The best has yet to Come".
Eric

nursesue

I think a photo collection of badges is a great idea. I would have no qualms about burning my photos onto  a CD and posting them onto whoever would undertake this task. I believe it would be an enormous task to compile and catalogue these badges. My collection is nowhere near as impressive as Pete/ backmans and that took me ages to  do.
My only reservation is the RCN  who are supposed to represent our interests as nurses - but yet seem to fail endlessly at this. I don't want to get political but the recent payrise debacle should be an indicator. Would it be possible to get a publisher to help with this task and to produce the "defintive photo collection of nursing badges" ( available at all good book shops now!!!) with royalties going to  a worthwhile charity ???????............ Maybe the RCN could use there publishing house with this?? I don't know the answer and have only made suggestions to see something solid, and representing, an understated part of nursing history, turn into reality. It must be feasible as I found a similar thing re nursing pins on wikipedia
One small selfish suggestion - if a meeting were arranged  can we have somewher other than London as its  so far away from us north of the border..............!!!!
luv sue  ;D

wilfb

Peter's idea seems to me (and to everyone else so far) well worth supporting. I would like to add a couple more comments. One immediate need is to gather together as many photographs as possible in one place - so that they can be catalogued and compliled (I would suggest) geographically.

On the main www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk website we are already moving towards this goal on a national (UK) basis - albeit at present confined to a 1974 timeline - adding badge photographs as we proceed. This approach will not produce a nursing badge archive as such - which is not what the main site is about.

But it could be added....

Going back to Peter's original idea - one problem we seem to have is collecting the photographs. Several members of Nursing Badges (http://groups.msn.com/nursingbadges/_homepage.msnw) have given Schools of Nursing legal access, together with other sources, to around 1500 photographs - absolutely brilliant.  The problem in the first place seems to be gaining access - copyright ownership has to be respected. Many badge collection photographs remain out of reach because the owners do not volunteer their use. Maybe a more direct approach is needed?

Schools of Nursing would be quite willing to process/database photographs.

I would urge that any photographs collected be made freely available to others. Free of any restrictive practice for private use and, as long as permission is first sought - for mass publication with the source (copyright) properly acknowledged.

Badge meetings? Chester seems somewhere near the middle of the UK?!

WB.

backman

Thanks gang! It seems we are pretty much of a mind about the need for some sort of collective record.I have approached the RCN but don't neccessarily expect much active assistance but I will keep you all informed.
I agree a sensible cataloging would be both by area( County,Country,Health District) and by dateline.The problems I foresee are the change of counties over the years so we need to define the location of a hospital or training school to a particular period as to what county it was in,there were also schools who bordered more than one county(Coldeast/Tatchbury/Cold Harbour).Similarly Health Districts may be easier although once again these changed over the years so a given edition of The Hospitals Yearbook could help here. Datelines are again not always easily identifiable although judicial guesswork sometimes works! Some means of defining badge size should be included as I  am often surprised when a badge arrives of  a completely differing size than I expected.Also different versions of the same badge exist in differring sizes( Macclesfield).
I have played with some sort of standard grid but so far these seem to detract from the clarity of the image.
Eric I am envious of your attempts to gather as comprehensive collection of Irish badges and wish I could be as single minded to stick to one area but I've gadded about too much to not include badges from those areas.
I agree that another meeting would be good for 2008.Ideas were RCN congress in April as a fringe event(Bournemouth)--RCN AGM October Liverpool,Manchester (UKCNHM ) Oxford,or London( I think transport will allways be a problem for some of us due to our diverse locations)
Thanks all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk