News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Mary's Penny

Started by wilfb, April 22, 2011, 03:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Julia Layell sent us the finding request for information:-

I have come cross your site whilst researching my St Mary's Hospital 'penny' for an essay for a jewellery course. I trained between 1976 and 1979 and wondered if you could help with any further information.

Julia sent a little further information:-
I trained as an SRN at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London 1976-1979.

Attached are photos of the front and back. On the back my name (maiden name) and dates of training are engraved. I don't know what the Latin means. We always called this the Mary's Penny and it was awarded if we passed our hospital exams, which were taken at the same time as the state exams and were much harder. We were very proud to wear it and those who failed the hospital exam didn't get another chance to get one.  It is quite heavy, about 5cms diameter and 0.5 cams thick, totally unsuitable for nursing today!

Thank you for your interest and help.

Can anyone add further information about this hospital badge The photographs are attached below? Remember - you have to log-in to see them displayed.

backman

Lovely badge,finally acquired one for my collection earlier this year,I always coveted one after seeing that of an ex nursing officer of mine.The Latin motto to the  rear translates to "Whatever thy hand is able to ,do it earnestly" the front simply reads "the seal of St Mary's Hospital Paddington London" in Latin.The Enrolled nurse version was known as the St Mary's Half Penny.

wilfb

Hi Peter.

Many thanks for that. You have added to Julia's knowledge of the badge already - she can of course read the responses but I don't think that she has yet joined the forum. Anyway I am sure that she will appreciate everything. I will update her link to the responses and encourage her further to membership!

Will.

wilfb

Hi Peter.

Just browsing through our 'National' collection of English Nursing Badges I noted that you have a St Mary's 'Halfpenny':-

"St Mary's Hospital State Enrolled Nurse
The Registered nurse version is affectionately known as the St Mary's Penny. This EN version was known as the St Mary's Halfpenny" - can you tell us anything more?

ahashton

I trained  as Nurse April Wood at St Mary's Paddington 1960-1964 and was awarded a St Mary's Penny.  Sending it away for a safety chain it was lost in transit by the postal service. It has never been traced.  I've looked on eBay from time to time hoping that it might come to light - no luck. I hoped to order a replica but I am informed that the St Mary's Hospital Nurses league no longer exists, so no luck there either.  If anyone has any ideas.......... do respond.

backman

Sorry to hear of the loss of your badge.Whilst these do come up for sale from time to time the chances of finding your own are sadly remote.They are always popular and sell well but ebay is probably the most likely source.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk