News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Design in history part 5 Myths & Legends & Gods

Started by nursesue, October 27, 2007, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

As mentioned in an earlier article Hygeia appears in the centre of the England & Wales GNC state badge. She is the goddess of health - her father being Aesculpius the God of medicine - who also  appears on badges.. Juno Lucino is famous for her appearance on many midwifery related badges such as the SCM state badge. She is the goddess of childbirth & is often portrayed holding a baby in her right hand. The phoenix is represented on Coventry's badge (see fauna and flora for more info). The red dragon of Wales is on the orthopaedic hospital badge with the rod & staff of Aesculapis. the Welsh dragon can be found on many of its hospital badges( in the same way the saltire appears on Scottish ones) including the mid-glamoran school of nursing badge.
The Caduceus that appears on some badges represents the  staff( or rod)of Mercury/Hermes -messenger of the gods. Can be seen on Neville Hall (Gwent) hospital badgeas well as Oxford's Nuffield Ortho centre. A beautiful example of this can be seen on the RAF training school badge.
Last but  not least the blue bird of happiness appears on the Bath & Wessex Ortho Hospital badge. It appears on the left shield and was taken from the Central Council for the care of cripples whose motto was " the blue bird of happiness and independence" a nice thought for such a politically incorrect name.
sue ;D

Odysseus

Hi Sue,

Do you know of a list of gods (or other images) used on hospital badges? I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to knowing which myth or legend belongs to which god, but I do like the idea of welsh dragons and ancient Greeks. All down to Hippocrates I suppose.

nursesue

hi - sorry for the delay in replying. I have just got back from Athens with my own greek god -ie the husband!!! Ha ha......
seriously though I am planning to do a piece on gods and religion at some point soon - probably when the next football match is on and I become a "football widow". Not only are nurse badges nice to collect and to cherish the ones you've earned yourself through hard work but there design and history can be equally finding and I'm trying to reflect this through these articles
sue :)

backman

Sue ,
I'm not sure if I need to moderate your posting on the grounds that you mention the F word.In view of the recent performances of the national teams you will next year undoubtedly be spending less time on your badges and more quality time with hubby! Football,what football?

Next year sees the 60th anniversary of the NHS and there is likely to be more interest in things historical so I hope this may give us the opportunity to raise the profile of our different sites?

Look forward to your next article with an assortment of saints and mythical figures.

eric

Just returned from weeks holidays and trying to catch up on posts since last time.
Great to read next instalment of designs Nursesue but wondered where part 4 was?
Have I missed something? Have read all posts again just to check.

Also has Bored Hat completed piece they were writing about "rise and fall of the Nursing Officer" and if so where can I read this?

Anything else new or exciting since I was away?
eric
Eric

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk