News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

IPSWICH AND EAST SUFFOLK SCHOOL OF NURSING.

Started by CHRISSIE, March 13, 2011, 09:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRISSIE

Hi,I trained at the Ipswich and Eat Suffolk School of Nursing,1966-1969..... probably some of the best years of my life. Our "Set" was known as the Mollie Mander Set as the Principal Sister tutor took us from PTS until the end of our training due to sickness within the teaching ranks just as we joined in September 1969.I am still Nursing,and  to this day can hear in my mind advice given by Miss Mander.During that time there was an article in one of the nursing journals which I have mislaid.I would love to get it again ,or a copy of it. It was called " A day in the life of Mollie Mander" and I think it was in the Nursing Mirror.Would anybody be able to give me some help in tracking this article down,or give mesome idea on where to start !! Many thanks,Chrissie.

CHRISSIE

Of course....... I meant to say that we joined in September 1966 ,finding in 1969.Chrissie.

backman

Hello and welcome to the site.If you access to library facilities you could try asking them to source this article; I have found it as being; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6051050

Good luck,would love to hear of more reminiscences.

CHRISSIE

:)Hi,thakyou so much for your help.Sorry but not sure how to access the article......could you help me just a bit more please?? ;) I was so pleased to stumble upon this site...It was another evening of trying to find any reference to Schools of Nursing,and for the first time that is exactly what I googled.!!!! I will certainly share some of my memories of those days,and my career to this point.Yes ,I do intend to make the big 65 before I hang up the uniform. :) Thanks again,Chrissie.

CHRISSIE

:-[   Sorry,I have realised now what your post is saying  ;D its been a long day......thanks for your help.Chrissie.

backman

That's ok Chrissie,
If you have difficulty in sourcing this due to it's age( I believe your nearest Library that holds NT copies going back to 1905 is Cambridge), you may wish to try the RCN library.They have a photocopying service for both members or non members which might be of help.See; http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/library/services#Photo2

Are you still working at Ipswich hospital? In which case do you know if the display case with old hospital badges is still located in the corridor near to Nursing Education? I did try to get in touch with someone who ran the Nurses League there who gathered these together but wasn't able to locate them.I do have  a few more Ipswich badges in my own collection which I need to add to the albums pages but I'm sure that I have some older pictures of Ipswich hospital on my Flickr pages.I will attempt to add the links later today.

CHRISSIE

Yes ,I am still working in Ipswich ,but have only been back there for one year . Most of my careeer I was a District Nurse in Essex . I retired from District Nursing early to care for my Parents at the end of their lives. finding this I spent time visiting the Children and their families until they suggested to their Dad that they thought I should go back to Nursing !!! ;D I did my D.N. training in Ipswich .....I live about twenty five miles away..... and when I applied to go back to go back into hospital I had been out of Hospital work since1984.Quite a scary move but I was sucessful at interveiw. The major problem that I have had to deal with is...dare I say it ... ageism. For the most part I have been supported ,but there have been some difficult moments when my tongue has been firmly between my teeth.  :'(  Yes.the display of badges is still in the corridor of the hospital .quite nostalgic . I have two of them ....long story due to a theft ..... but bought a new one ,then was given the original (hand with lamps) by a colleague whose Father trained there with me and had passed away.Also .of coure I have my GNC badge,and have been told that only one badge is allowed ,but I love to wear them and it doesnt seem to have been a major problem for any of the senior nurses. II myself have tried to contact the Nurses League with no success. One of the Comittee members was in my set. I can find no body at work who knows if it still exists. When I get any contact details I will let you know. Thanks again for your help ,Chrissie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk