News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Moss Side Hospital school of Nursing. Maghull, Merseyside.

Started by Arthurian, October 18, 2007, 04:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthurian

There may be a slight Misunderstanding here. Moss Side [Later Joined by Park Lane] Were NOT trainining Schools for Greaves Hall & Olive Mount. As I recall, Greaves Hall Hospital SON was the principal hospital providing 'Practical Training & Additional Experience' to Moss Side & Olive Mount.

The Reasons: Moss Side was all 'Adult High Security Patients' & Thus had No Children or Infirmary Ward Experience Available to Pupil or Student Nurses.

Moss Side Special Hospital therefore seconded learners to Greaves Hall for six months for these two units of experience. This was usually gained on M1 ward [Cerebral Palsy, Mainly bed bound/chair bound patients] & M9 Ambulant Children's Ward. There was a corresponding arrangement for Female Learners on the similar Female wards. The Hospital was at that time in two 'Parts' Male & female wards, each under SEPARATE management by a Chief Male Nurse & Matron [& their SEPARATE nursing teams]

Olive Mount HAD NO Student Training, But trained for the Roll. S.E.N. [M.S.] As it was an  'ALL CHILDREN' Hospital their Learners came to Greaves Hall for experience with those areas not to be found at Olive Mount [Mainly adults]
When Park Lane Hospital was commissioned the training there was for the R.M.N. & E./N. [M.I.] Rainhill Hospital was used to fill in additional needs for experience and learners spent between one & two years there depending on individual need.  

Arthurian

Because of the need for Additional Practical Experience - 'The Special Hospitals', Broadmoor, Rampton, Moss Side & Later Park Lane Hospitals, All at some point 'Seconded' Learners to local 'Open Psychiatric' or Open Mental Handicap' Hospitals to 'Broaden Training Experience with Informal, Community, Physically ill & Handicapped Patients as well as in the case of Mental Handicap Training 'Children'.

These arrangements were set up by mutual agreement with the G.N.C. who insisted on the training being more 'Broad Based' than that available purely within a 'Secure Envioronment'.

That being said, training was ALSO conducted on the wards of the Special Hospitals & in their own training schools on study days & study blocks.

Tutors usually had at least TWO qualifications plus a nurse teaching qualification.

wilfb

That is a really interesting piece of history Arthurian. It is not always appreciated that the integration of nurse training bagan as far back as the late '60s - early '70s, and that by 1974 options such as those described - gaining additional experience not available in one's own school by secondment to another was moving from 'optional' to 'compulsory'.

The special hospitals were indeed fully fledged schools of nursing and were among the leaders in implementing these changes. All specialities (I am unsure about midwifery) began to add 'additional training' to their particular syllabus from around the early '70s. SRN students gaining experience in mental illness or mental handicap hospitals, their contemporaries in psychiatric or mental handicap hospitals being seconded to general hospitals.  If my memory serves the secondments were for around 8 weeks.

I am not at all certain of the positions of Scotland (Carstairs?) or the Northern Ireland Special Hospitals, but would be keen to hear it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk