News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Priomh Ospideal na Gaillimhe (Regional Hospital Galway Ireland) Nurse Badge

Started by jacinta, September 08, 2009, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacinta

Please can anyone assist. I am trying to find a replacment nurses badge from Regional Hospital Galway. Its roughly heart shaped, blue background with "Priomh Ospideal na Gaillimhe" written on it along with picture of a ship ( like Spanish Armada vessel) Sadly mine was taken from change room sometime ago and I continue to try to find one

I was delighted to see a picture of the badge on the photo gallery for southern Ireland. www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
can anyone help with my search -
Look forward to hearing soon
    :)
Jacinta

wilfb

Hello Jacinta.

Welcome. I do hope that you find a replacement for your badge. Your link does not take us directly tro the badge photo, so I have taken the liberty of including the picture below for you.

On the member list you will find a member named eric - the source of the photograph - if you click the email envelope beside the name you can email him directly.

He may not be able to help and may still be on holiday but he is an acknowledged collector of Irish nursing badges and possibly your best bet. Give it a try. Photo below (only members can view).

Non members can use this link to the photograph:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Gallery2/EWilkinsonDT2/EWIBadges1/Badge011.htm

Best Regards.
Will.

jacinta

thank you very much Will
I have sent Eric an email this evening fingers crossed he may be able to assist
best wishes
Jacinta

eric

First Welcome Jacinta to forum. Its great to see another 'Irish' nurse amongst us. Sorry to hear about losing badge. It's a common occurrance which affects lot of nurses over the years and difficulty is that most nurses who still have their badges refuse to part with them, due to sentimental reasons (probably same as why you after another).

I'm afraid to say I don't have a spare, so unable to help you BUT will keep my eyes open for you and if and when I see one, you'll be first to know about it. I got this one from ebay about 2 years ago.

However, might I suggest something. Since you trained in hospital (despite it being swallowed up within University of Galway in 1990), remember all teaching staff would have been transfered across as well (those that didn't retired at time), and if you write to them and ask them, someone might be able to help. Look at web site and check staff names and see if any are familar to you from 'your' days and contact them specifically and fingers crossed, you just might be lucky.

I trained in Northern Ireland (although I'm from Republic) and over past 3 years I've written to 127 directors of nursing in nearly every hospital and school of nursing in Ireland, BUT I've only ever received 19 replies, 17 of which all replied stating that they only gave badges to those who trained at hospitals / schools. You stand greater chance than I do. When writing I suggest giving details of when + where you trained (perhaps enclose photocopy of hospital certificate as proof). I do know a lot of hospitals will sell hospital badge to those trained there but they require 'proof'. (this is where I strike out each time).

I've written to An Bord Altranais (Irish nursing board) about 3 years ago telling them I collected only Irish nursing/hospital badges and would like to "give" or donate my collection to them when I retire (or die, whichever comes first) BUT believe it or not, their reply was they didn't have room or resources to accept any collections and refused my offer. When I asked about preserving history and badges and the like, they seemed totally uninterested.

Hence my passion is to try and build a collection of Irish Hospital / Nursing Badges and postcards to prevent their lose to irish nursing. I might end up giving it to museum in Monaghan, my local town. My collection is fairly small and indeed I generally only add around 3 or 4 per year to it. Which is why I get excited when I obtain any. Even getting information about badges is a small step forward.

Jacinta, I wonder if you could help me out in letting me have some information about this badge; when it was first produced, why this design and by whom and anything else about it. Do you still have An Bord Altranais (state) badge? Is it silver? as modern ones aren't.
Nearly all of the actual hospital badges are silver, produced from 2 places in Ireland. As result nurses were asked to pay for them and because of this a lot didn't take up offer, which is why there's not as many badges about as there are in UK.

Good luck in your search and I really do look forward to hearing of your adventures in this endeavour.

Sorry I can't help at moment but wish you luck in search.

Eric
Eric

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk