News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

General Nursing Council

Started by barrysutton, May 28, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Biley

Quote from: backman on June 04, 2009, 07:03:37 PM
Nice badges Fran,
Found this which may relate to the POW medal,in which case there may be gold and bronze versions as well ?What year is the hallmark?
 See; http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME067-1921/page356-volume67-03rddecember1921.pdf

Nice one Peter, what a scholar! But I am confused. Wasnt the King Edward VII Hospital later to become Cardiff Royal Infirmary and was on Newport Road Cardiff. My badge was for the Prince of Wales Hospital, situated on ? St Mary Street Cardiff until it moved to the outskirts of Cardiff during ?WWII. Am sure you will be able to find the solution to this? I will check the date on the hallmark.

backman

Absolutely Fran,I can only presume that he not only endowed the prize medal at King Edward Hospital but also a similar one for the POW Hospital ? I  found a little background on Sir William Thomas here,including the fact he married the deputy matron at CRI !;
http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s2-THOM-JAM-1867.html?query=baronet&field=content

Francis Biley

:) I knew you'd find an answer Peter...finding

wilfb

Well yes, I must agree..

But forgive me gentlemen, are we not digressing from the topic in hand - General Nursing Council? I hate to disturb an enthusiastic discussion in full flow, but tell me do - how do you expect to pass your examinations in stamp collecting if you have been discussing motorcycles?.... I suppose next you will be conversing in Welsh?!

If need be I will report you to the moderator!!

Would you like me to start a new topic and transfer your posts? (please don't do that yourselves if you want to retain your current inputs) or shall we just continue with the topic in hand?

W.

backman

Humble apologies but I believe from my good lady wife I may have displaying the apparently male trait of going off at a tangent?

GNC figures.Whilst I have not managed to get the final figures for those nurses on the GNC registers and rolls at close of play on June 30th 1983,(I wonder who was the recipient of the last Number?) I have however come up with some figures upto 1973 when they started to enter the details onto microfiche.
  So; SRN                 1921-73                                     1-472,888
        RSCN               1921-73                                     1-22,738
        RFN until closure in 1967                                     1-21,505
        RMN                -   1973                                      1-52,801
        RNMD renamed in 1962     
        RNMS                                                               1-10,102
        Male Nurses registered separately until 1950-          1-2142           
        SEAN               1944-62                                     1-72,175
        SEN                  1962-73                                     72,176-143,376  ( a massive rate of growth!)
        Roll of Mental Nurses 1962-72                                1-16814
        Roll of Mental Subnormal nurses                              1-7546

Hope that helps?

wilfb

Peter.

You are a star. Many thanks. Tangent away to your hearts content... Though I have to admit that I wondered what you would do if reported to yourself?!

That is a superb answer. For my part - I have photographed today the chromium plated SEAN badge that originated from your good self and will I hope get the photo's onto this topic (only logged in members will be able to see photo's here) early a.m. tomorrow. I will also add them to the gallery here and at nursingbadges (http://nursingbadges.multiply.com/). I just hope that our topic starter, Barry, is not suffering information overload.

W. 

barrysutton

Overload, surely not, this is good stuff,
In continuance of this theme does anyone know anything regarding the buttons for qualified nuses, nationally, I have four sizes for England & Wales in black, three sizes for Scotland and one for Northern Ireland.
I do also have SCM (State Certified Midwifery buttons) and Queens Institute for District Nurses.
Keep the answers coming.
All the best,
Barry

wilfb

Hi.

Ok. I will give the attachment of the GNC photo a go....

There we are then. If you point/click on the photo it will enlarge sufficiently to allow you to read the reverse inscriptions. Both sides raise as many questions as they answer - the first of which must be is the badge a genuine GNC issue?

I will post photo's on the gallery in a little while which allow closer inspection - but just for the moment I will leave the post at that.

W.

wilfb

Well - just a couple of answers relating to a contribution by Peter ('backman') a few replies back herein:-

Quote from: backman on June 03, 2009, 10:22:38 AM
I have seen the type of badge in question and agree that it did seem to be a specific variant of SEAN badge as was a chromed version with green enamel but would love to know just how common these were.I know that Fattorinis ( there were several different companies not always associated) do still maintain pattern books and details of badges they have produced but I'm not sure how accessible these are to researchers?
The other variant which would be very collectable was SRN badge number 500,000 which was awarded in silver,I believe in the 1960s.....

I did place the photograph of a green enamel/chromed S.E.A.N. badge as promised  - just above in this reply and also in the our gallery:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=4 and:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=3

and on nursingbadges (same photo's). I have no idea how common these were..... I think that the definitive answer must lie with Fattorini's.

With regard to the Silver GNC Registration badge no; 500.000 - I believe that it was presented to Carol Green (21 at the time) who trained at the United Nottingham School of Nursing.

W.

Francis Biley

OK, to add to the GNC badges debate, I got through to the bottom of box of badges number 5 or 6, and found these two strange ones lurking. Not enough computer skills to upload here, but they are in the gallery section of this site (when Wilf approves them), English Badge section.

wilfb

Thanks Fran.

I just approved the uploads. They are superb. If you give me the OK I will add them here for you. Personally I think that they are worth adding. I can't help with those dates, but maybe Peter....

W.

Francis Biley

Quote from: wilfb on June 07, 2009, 08:16:49 PM
Thanks Fran.

I just approved the uploads. They are superb. If you give me the OK I will add them here for you. Personally I think that they are worth adding. I can't help with those dates, but maybe Peter....

W.
Yep, shove them up here, that would be great.

Quotethe two on the left are typical EN GNC badges, but the upper right badge is some kind of ?light copper badge with blue enamel, and underneath shiny ?brass EN badge (it has not been polished but has not dulled like the two on the left). Both are, unfortunately, un-named, but have the usual Fattorini mark (does anybody have a list of when Fattorini changed their marks, we might be able to date them that way?).Jun 07, 2009

Francis Biley

OK, I'm on a roll here, and have just uploaded a pic of RSCN 70 badge in the English Badges section.

backman

Nice one Fran,
As far as dating badges from makers marks I can't do much better than reference the finding link for Fattorini and Miller badges ;http://www.badgecollectorscircle.co.uk/Miller%20fattorini.htm

I believe the shoulder titles for epaulettes for SRN & SEN were specified by the GNC as they had fairly strict regulations on uniforms and how they should be worn.At one stage they could only be purchased through licensed dealers.I think that I may have a copy of one of their booklets on uniform regulations,if I can find it?

backman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk