News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

General Nursing Council

Started by barrysutton, May 28, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

I'm trying to put together a complete set of Enrolled and Registered however I need to know what I require, I already have some they being:- SEAN named, numbered, pin & safety chain, SEAN named, numbered, lapel  & safety chain, GNC (green) for E. & W., blank reverse, pin. SEN named, numbered, pin & safety chain, SEN named, numbered, lapel & safety chain and SEN numbered & pin.
SRN named, numbered, H.M. & pin, SRN named, numbered, H.M. & lapel, SRN named, numbered, chrome & pin, SRN named,numbered, chrome, pin & safety chain.
SRN/RSCN named, numbered, chrome, pin & safety chain, SRN/RSCN numbered, chrome & pin.
RSCN named, numbered, H.M., pin & safety chain, RSCN named, numbered, chrome, pin & safety chain.
RFN named, numbered, H.M.& pin.
RMN named, numbered, chrome, pin & safety chain, RMN named, numbered, chrome, lapel & safety chain.
RNMS named, numbered, chrome & pin, RNMS named, numbered, chrome & lapel.

wilfb

A finding topic. Getting together a complete set of GNC badges could be quite complicated, but very worthwhile from a historical point of view. In effect there were only a small number of major 'revisions'  mainly of materials - Silver becoming chromium plated base metal with the onset of WWII as a measure, I believe, to save precious metals. Like the Road Tax it was never changed back - even though silver was later not really restricted or really precious - and in any event the silver badges were not free to recipients...

The face side of the badge remained unchanged (I think) throughout the life of the E&W badges. but  there have were several reverse side differences - and all are collectable.

EG: Because no new badges were issued (in E&W) when a nurse took a second Registration course, the original badge could be returned for the addition of the letters & dates.  It is not unusual to see double qualifications on the reverse of a state badge (both silver & chromium plated versions) SRN/RFN - RMN/SRN - SRN/RMND  etc etc. You have some combinations already. On the vast majority of badges with combined registrations the SRN was present, although not always the first qualification. Some combinations changed because titles changed - eg: RMND became RNMS became RNMH - so the possible multiples are several in number.

Physically the reverses were basically alike - except that some will be found with safety chain loops - not always at the base - whilst the basic face of the badges did not. Sometimes you will notice the Fattorini (maker stamp) at the base but more frequently at the top of the reverse. Just another permutation...

The pin remained much the same throughout. A lapel button hole finding was also available which could be requested before the badge was issued.

The inscription typefaces did change between early and later badges. I do not know whether early badges were stamped - they certainly seem so, and how the later badges were inscribed is a mystery to me. I think machine engraved. You can be sure though that the typefaces used were of a size which left room for additions...

Badges were issued to cover at least three examinations a year. January; June; October. The actual dates inscribed were the actual registration dates, not examination dates - varying ad lib. Duplicates were also issued where an original had been lost and were thus stamped "Duplicate".

At a date I cannot immediately recall - the '70s I think - recipient names were left off and just the Registration number and date applied. This was said to be for security reasons (making impersonating a nurse more difficult) but my own opinion is that it facilitated issue and cost less. Anyone accepting a state badge as evidence of Registration would have to have been a bit lacking (and breaking all rules). Although there were cases...

The GNC EN badges are equally finding - the early ones marked SEAN (State Enrolled Assistant Nurse) later becoming SEN (State Enrolled Nurse) in E&W. Again, the nurses name was originally applied to the reverse side and later just the number.

An interesting point is that whilst the vast majority of EN badges were of bronze or brass - I can't remember off hand - there are chromium plated examples in existence. I don't known the provenance of these or any other details.

The faces of both Registered and EN badges are essentially the same. The main difference being the colour of the central ring containing the 'General Nursing Council for England and Wales' title. Blue for the Registration Badges, pale green for the EN version.

There are a couple of articles which may be of interest already on site here:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Nursingbadges/collectingnursinghistory1.htm

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Nursingbadges/Articles/Badgedesignxx.htm

I am sure that other collectors will be adding more interesting material which I feel sure will be of use to you. Thanks for starting a very interesting topic.

WB.

nursesue

hi - I believe that Mike ( myk1066) is trying to get a complete set of dated SRN badges, As for me I'm still trying to get a complete set of Scottish state badges!!
I have lost my original SRN badge but if memory serves me correctly it just had my registration number and year qualified on it - don't recall it having my name. This was for security and to stop somebody from impersonating you. My current state badge, that i wear with pride, is for an SRN/RFN.
sue x

wilfb

Hi.

I wonder if we could persuade Myke1066 to add some pearls of wisdom right here on this topic?  he must have some interesting observations to make on GNC badges. I once saw a badge for sale on ebay with a small 'V' shaped notch clipped out of it and couldn't help but wonder why and by whom. Was this the fate of badges which were returned to the GNC when a nurse died? If not just what did happen to those badges?

Did Mrs Bedford-Fenwicks badge - the first - suffer destruction at the hands of the GNC - or does it sit pristinely and proudly in some off-limits official gallery somewhere for it's own safety?

Plus, we could use Barry's topic replies as the basis of a new article here on SoN...

Will.

Francis Biley

Fascinated detailed stuff...(looking forward to chatting with you soon Wilf)

I have what I think is an additional version of a GNC badge which I think I got off 'nurse-badge' (??) perhaps a decade ago. It is a brass SRN badge, ie like an EN badge but with blue enamel. 'nurse-badge' (sorry I cant remember his name) said he thought they were produced during or just after the war and were made as such because of the shortage of alternative materials. I am almost 100% certain that this is NOT an ordinary SRN badge with the chrome plating rubbed off, which would otherwise seem like an explanation for the badge.

Can anybody else throw any light on this? I'm afraid I can't supply a photo at the moment (nor name or Reg number), all my badges are wrapped up and packed away and I can't bear the idea of going through all the boxes...(not that I've got all that many, just a few 100...).

Regards, Fran

backman

Hi Fran,
I have seen the type of badge in question and agree that it did seem to be a specific variant of SEAN badge as was a chromed version with green enamel but would love to know just how common these were.I know that Fattorinis ( there were several different companies not always associated) do still maintain pattern books and details of badges they have produced but I'm not sure how accessible these are to researchers?
The other variant which would be very collectable was SRN badge number 500,000 which was awarded in silver,I believe in the 1960s.
You really must try and unpack your badges (and hospital postcards?)and add these to photo pages as we'd all love to see them.

many thanks

Peter

wilfb

Hi Fran, Peter.

This really is turning into a finding topic. We should be proud of Barry for kicking this particular ball - I know that he had a steep learning curve to climb - but the rewards are certainly worth it.

Some time ago I obtained from Peter a chromium plated version (Green enamel) of the SEN badge - as against the original brass version. A bit like Fran (in the opposite) I wondered if it was a brass version which had been chromed.. I still don't know, but I have not seen another likeness.

And (as usual) attempting a little provocation - I wonder if Mrs Bedford-Fenwick's GNC badge was, being the first, of gold? Or had gold enamel? Answers on a postcard - everyone must be waiting on the answer....

W.
Ps. Yes, speak later Fran, no problem. But like Peter - the badges, the badges...!

Francis Biley

:-) perhaps I'll try to look out that badge, I think its packed away with the rest of my GNC badges, I have perhaps 20 or so. Trouble is, my collection is not at all exciting, I love them of course, but there is not much that is out of the ordinary (except perhaps the 2-300 copies I have of the same South Glam badge (anybody want one, or two, or ten?). Oh yes, and then there are the postcards....

Francis Biley

OK, I've just placed a couple of photos of my fav badges in the Welsh section, hope you like them.

barrysutton

Hello Again,
Thank you for all the replies,however needless to say I have a few further observation to make.
Where there ever G.N.C. badges for State Enrolled Mental Nurses.
When where Registered Fever Nurse badges phased out and are there chromed versions of this badge.
Also as a slight expansion on this topic I currently have , SEAN & SEN shoulder-titles in bronze, a RFN shoulder-title in sterling silver and a SRN shoulder-title in chrome are there any others.
All the best,
ODPBarry

backman

Nice badges Fran,
Found this which may relate to the POW medal,in which case there may be gold and bronze versions as well ?What year is the hallmark?
  See; http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME067-1921/page356-volume67-03rddecember1921.pdf

wilfb

Hi.

Back to Barry and the GNC (E&W).

Yes, there were enrolled nurse badges for Mental and Mental handicap (Mental Deficiency/Mental Subnormality) nurses. I don't have any of these so don't want to comment from memory about the inscriptions on the reverse. No doubt one of our members - perhaps Peter, can enlighten us further. I would certainly like to hear a definitive answer to this one.

And likewise - I should know when the last fever nurse was registered with the GNC, but if I do know I can't remember.  Help!

The shoulder titles were I believe a matter for individual hospitals - not the statutory bodies.

backman

Some pretty complex details behind this lot which would require me to bury myself in the archives(one day once retirement allows?).In the meantime the finding may be helpful.

Applications for admission to the Register of Nurses could be accepted only from properly qualified nurses who had completed a three-year training course. There was a large group of second grade or assistant nurses with two years training who were therefore ineligible for registration. In November 1937, an Interdepartmental Committee on Nursing Services, chaired by the Earl of Athlone, recommended that the assistant nurse should be given a recognized status and placed on a roll under the control of the General Nursing Council. This recommendation was eventually embodied in the Nurses Act 1943 by which the General Nursing Council was to regulate the formation, maintenance and publication of the roll and to establish conditions of admission to and removal from the roll.
Unlike the register, the roll included male and female Assistant nurses on one list from the beginning. There was no provision in the 1943 Act for maintenance of the roll in several parts so that there could be no enrolment of assistant nurses working with mental patients. The Nurses Act 1964 gave the council power to make rules for the enrolment of nurses with experience in psychiatric nursing and two rolls were opened for mental nurses and nurses for the mentally subnormal.
In 1961 it was considered that the use of the term 'Assistant Nurse' was hindering recruitment and the Enrolled Nurses Rules Approval Instrument SI 1961/1519 changed the name to State Enrolled Nurse and the Roll of Assistant Nurses became the Roll of Nurses.

backman

wilfb

Hi, Just trying to get together two threads - the earlier one by Fran indicating (reading between his lines) that there may have been an interim version (brass) SRN badge (it must have been between the end of the silver and start of the chrome plated issues?).

Quote from: Francis Biley on June 02, 2009, 10:35:17 PM
Fascinated detailed stuff...(looking forward to chatting with you soon Wilf)

I have what I think is an additional version of a GNC badge which I think I got off 'nurse-badge' (??) perhaps a decade ago. It is a brass SRN badge, ie like an EN badge but with blue enamel. 'nurse-badge' (sorry I cant remember his name) said he thought they were produced during or just after the war and were made as such because of the shortage of alternative materials. I am almost 100% certain that this is NOT an ordinary SRN badge with the chrome plating rubbed off, which would otherwise seem like an explanation for the badge.

Can anybody else throw any light on this? I'm afraid I can't supply a photo at the moment (nor name or Reg number), all my badges are wrapped up and packed away and I can't bear the idea of going through all the boxes...(not that I've got all that many, just a few 100...).

Regards, Fran

And Peter's noting that there was a silver SRN No 500,000 badge issued:-

QuoteReply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:22:38 AM - The other variant which would be very collectable was SRN badge number 500,000 which was awarded in silver,I believe in the 1960s.

Add the missing Mrs Bedford-Fenwick's badge and there are at least three 'Holy Grails' for the seriously serious collector?

W.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk