News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

General Nursing Council

Started by barrysutton, May 28, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Applications for admission to the Register of Nurses could be accepted only from properly qualified nurses who had completed a three-year training course. There was a large group of second grade or assistant nurses with two years training who were therefore ineligible for registration. In November 1937, an Interdepartmental Committee on Nursing Services, chaired by the Earl of Athlone, recommended that the assistant nurse should be given a recognized status and placed on a roll under the control of the General Nursing Council. This recommendation was eventually embodied in the Nurses Act 1943 by which the General Nursing Council was to regulate the formation, maintenance and publication of the roll and to establish conditions of admission to and removal from the roll.
Unlike the register, the roll included male and female Assistant nurses on one list from the beginning. There was no provision in the 1943 Act for maintenance of the roll in several parts so that there could be no enrolment of assistant nurses working with mental patients. The Nurses Act 1964 gave the council power to make rules for the enrolment of nurses with experience in psychiatric nursing and two rolls were opened for mental nurses and nurses for the mentally subnormal.
In 1961 it was considered that the use of the term 'Assistant Nurse' was hindering recruitment and the Enrolled Nurses Rules Approval Instrument SI 1961/1519 changed the name to State Enrolled Nurse and the Roll of Assistant Nurses became the Roll of Nurses.

backman

Hope the above details from the National archive holdings helps. So from the opening of the Rolls for mental nurses in 1962 until 1972 when the paper records became entered onto microfiche the numbers given were SEN(M) 16814 and SEN(MS) 7546.As to were badges issued accordingly,I can only suppose that they were but I can't say that i have come across any?

barrysutton

Does anyone know when the register for Males started for the General Nursing Council for S.R.N.

backman

As far as I can recall this was deemed a "Supplementary Part of the Register for Male Nurses" and was introduced from the outset of the GNC.What I hadn't quite realised was that their numbering system was separate to the general register so presumably there is another SRN Number 1,but this time a man!!!! It would be interesting to know who this was?

I have a 1956 Supplement to the GNC Register in which there is quite a flood of Male Nurses coming into the profession after the end of the war.Male registration numbers in that year go from around 1600 to 2100.The earliest Male nurse number I have found who was removed from the register in 1956 was number 12 John Sutcliffe Greenwood.Always leads to more questions??

myk1066

Why was he removed from the register one asks!

backman

When the Nursing registers opened,many of the first additions were retrospective, for nurses who had trained many years before.Thus if he had trained in the 1900s say,he would have been in his seventies ,so the answer was he had probably died! As well as new additions to each part of the register,there was a large section of whose whose names had been removed.They really do make finding reading.

backman

As an update on previous discussions I have now managed to identify the finding from trawling the ancestry registers.It may be of interest ,especially if anyone knows where any of these might be in time for next years centenary of Nurse Registration? Format is Qualification number,name,date of registration and place and type of training
SRN 1 Ethel Gordon Fenwick(nee Manson) Registered Sept 30,1921 ,1878-79 Royal Infirmary Manchester

RFN 1 Annie Bryant,sept 30 ,1921,Exp.1894-96 South Western Hospital Stockwell

RSCN 1 Evelyn Margaret Hughes,Oct.28,1921 Cert 1909-12 Childrens Hospital Birmingham

SRN Male 1  George Dunn March  17 1922 Cert 1901-04 RAMC Hospitals

RNMD 1 Minnie Eleanor Alderton May 19th 1922 brock Hall Whalley

RMN 1 Tom Christian Sept 30.1921 Cert MPA 1900-03 Banstead Mental Hospital

When I get a chance i will try and do the same for the Scottish Registers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk