News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

General Nursing Council

Started by barrysutton, May 28, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi.

I am nearing completion of an article on collecting GNC state registration badges for the main website, but am still searching unsuccesfully for a few details. Any help would be appreciated. Can anyone tell me:-

1. The total numbers of badges issued for SRN; RSCN; RMN; RNMH.  The last is probably the most difficult because of the changes in title - but the total number would suffice for now.

2. The dates of the last issues.

3. There were sixteen nurses appointed to the first GNC - eleven were matrons or ex-matrons - does anyone have the names for all the original nurse members.

All help is appreciated.

W.

backman

Sorry for not coming with the answers for you Will,I'm not sure I can find all the details but I'll try to get at least some info.Are you looking for the original members of the GNC from their first meeting in May 1920 to the first election of councillors in February 1923? I have found that 9 of the 16 nurses were from the College of Nursing with just 4 from the RBNA with the others being from the Poor Law Infirmaries or hospital Matrons.Of the RCN members I've identified the Misses Cox Davies,Lloyd Still and Sparshott and of course Ethel Bedford Fenwick.More to follow.

wilfb

Hi Peter,

You are still top!

The first meeting please. You have added two names I was looking for already - many thanks. If you would be willing to look at the article on GNC badges leave me a note in the messages box and I will send the link.

And this is very true - Just as I completed the first sentence above (sat in the computer room) my nearest arrived and asked 'is this a snake?' Before starting the second sentence I had written off my doubts (panicked!) as a small viper side-wound it's way into a dark corner. I despatched the poor creature with an old Matebele walking stick we had acquired in Africa some years ago - whilst doing the equivalent of a Scottish jig as it disagreed with me at a speed I couldn't believe!! I think that I will sit elsewhere for the rest of the evening - but at least that won't be the local equivalent of A&E!! Apologies for the digression - I will await your reply/progress from my laptop next door... Who's a coward? Me!!

W.  :o

nursesue

wilf - would that be a Cretan snake cos my hubby told me all greek snakes were poisonous!! A coward you are not
I had planned to read a GNC book that I 've got to try and find some answers only to discover I've packed it ready for our move to NOT warmer climes of Aberdeen Rumour has it there will be more snow AGGH Is it to late to move back to Greece!!

wilfb

Hi Sue,

Yes, we are at our Cretan home right now - beautifully warm and sunny. It brings out the wild-life. Or should I say brings it in?! Sotiris may be right, but I do know that some only have 'back-fangs' - at the back of the mouth finding backwards (to prevent bitten prey escaping as well as killing it) so they can only bite prey which is not to big for them. I know that I am definitely too big for that type, but I don't know which snakes have back fangs and which dont!! I can't examine the remains as it has a flattened head. I know that because I flattened it!

Don't worry about the book right now - Peter is batting as well - it will do when you get it out again. I am desperate for proof-readers though (expert on GNC and badges). You only need a browser, and in your case you might also find a 'borrowed' sentence! If you are able, let me know and I will upload and send the private link. But you are obviously busy right now so don't take on too much.

No, it isn't too late if you don't mind snakes!

nursesue

hi wilf  I am more than happy to do proof reading or whatever  - it will help me relax after the chores of packing
suex

barrysutton

Hello Wilf,
The article you've put on the April Newsletter is wonderful. I hope that my original enquiry didn't cause you the trouble of producing this amazing article. If I can be of any help in the future please feel free to ask, and no I've not forgotten about the 'Military' article.
All the best,
ODPBarry

wilfb

Hi Barry.

Good to hear from you and your compliments have increase my hat size by at least two. But that is only the first in the series (articles not hat sizes). I hope that the rest will turn out as well - but of course the real kudos must go to the nurses who won them - leaving their mark indelibly on the history of the profession.

The military badge articles will, I know, appear in due course. I have every confidence that you will make certain that they are equally good. For now, maybe you would like to join our pre-publication readers and comment privately on the next article towards it's completion? You would be most welcome.

W.

wilfb

Hi.

I have today added a paragraph or two on the costs of collecting GNC (E&W) State Registration badges to the article I added in April. The additional material is added at the end of the conclusion here:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/GNCEWBadges.htm

Any/all observations are welcome. I hope that the addition is useful.

Will.

wilfb

Hi.

Just to draw attention to a very unusual GNC State Registration badge on an ebay auction:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140432982739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

With an apparent blood-red centre. I have never personally heard of such a badge. The seller said that it might have been a prototype.

I do not have any personal knowledge of such a badge - but then it could have been. Use your own judgement.

Will.

backman

Have seen this and it is difficult to see whether this is a DIY job or something more official? At first glance it looks fairly crude and appears to be an unofficial adaption to a normal badge ,but my view is that this would be recent as I cannot believe that the GNC would sanction such a variation to the standard design. I would like to see it in more detail to comment further?

nursesue

my initial thoughts were that somebody had been let loose ( very badly) with a paintbrush and am happy to be proved wrong
sue ::)

barrysutton

Hello, does anyone know of or have the enrolled nurse version of this badge with S.E.M.N. on it.

wilfb

Hi Barry.

Never seen one/mentioned....

Will.

barrysutton

The reason I poise the question is that the Army School of Physciatric Nursing when based at The Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital, Woolwich, London had badges for both Registered Mental Nurses & Enrolled Mental Nurses?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk