News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Dudley Guest Hospital West Midlands

Started by nursesue, March 23, 2009, 10:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

Dudley is served by two major NHS health facilities. Dudley Guest Hospital was the first to be constructed however it began as a charity to accommodate blinded local miners in 1849, by the Earl of Dudley  The charity did not become popular & the buildings remained empty until 1871. It was taken over by a local chain maker, a certain Mr Joseph Guest,  who turned it into a hospital in 1871. As a result of the loss of the Emergency department in 1983 , the hospital has become a less important facility compared with the Russell's Hall Hospital, also in Dudley.
Russell's Hall Hospital was constructed in 1976 but immediate problems meant that it could not open until 1983. A major expansion of the hospital was completed in 2004 finding the downgrading of Wordsley Hospital, Dudley Guest Hospital and Corbett Hospital. Another hospital serving Dudley is Bushey Fields Hospital.
Most of the buildings are due to be retained owing to their historic importance, though some of the less significant structures are set to be demolished, and it has been speculated for some time that houses will be built there, although nothing definite has yet been confirmed.
In 2008, it was used to film Ghost hunting with... and stars from I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! ghost hunted in parts of the hospital, just six months after it closed.

All exterior shots copyright & courtesy of DogRecon from Derelict places who sent me these pics for you to  see- the badge is mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk