News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

GOSH - Great Ormond St Hospital for Sick Children

Started by wilfb, August 21, 2007, 02:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

although not  a GOSH nurse i do remember as a student having to hide in the sluice when the consultant did his ward round!!!

wilfb

Hi,

Can anyone help with this at all - we are coming up blank - well have a partial confirmation as given in para II below - but otherwise Nil.

I am trying to find out if there was a nurses hostel in Bedford  Square or Bedford Place London in the 1980s. I was told it was for GOSH nurses but the archivist there couldnt  find any background on Bedford Square although there is a record of a hostel at 28 Bedford Pace.
I wondered if you can assist me in this.

Further - after my reply....

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. I can,t tell you why it is so important but it is!
I was told originally 25 Bedford Square.  The archivist said 40 Bedford Place. I am more inclined to think the Square. I am told about 12 gosh nurses lived there in the 80s. May have gone up to early 90s.

Will.

Sarah Rogers

Hi Will, i trained with a few GOSH nurses doing their general and childrens  at that time, but dont know where they lived specifically..would it show by name on electoral registers?
Lizzie
( i often wonder if they got both a GOSH and london badge !)

backman

Not having much luck on this one so far! I am sure that somewhere in this lot will lay the answer but not easily accessible:http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=16678&inst_id=127&nv1=browse&nv2=sub
Will keep looking but in cases like this recent history is harder to track down than the older stuff.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, another thought..post a message on the GOsh league web site? ....and does their league have a facebook page?...more recent ly trained poeple may use that, and may know,
Lizzie

myk1066

Hi all
I trained in Kent, namely Bromley, Farnborough & Orpington hospitals & we had, on placement, GOSH student nurses who were undertaking the 4yr combined RSCN/RGN course.  They did their general part of the combined course in said hospitals and were awarded the same hospital badge as we were awarded.  They also lived in the nurses home where we lived for the duration of their placements.
Regards
Myk1066

Sarah Rogers

hI, At the London the GOSH girls when , training at the london stayed in their own hospital/other digs--as it was so close, but I dont remember them at our awards ceremony..i would love to see an earnt  pair of GOSH/The London together, lizzie
ps another suggestion from my husband...are kellys street directories stii around...or were they not produced by the 1980's?

Tracey nee Crouch

Quote from: backman on January 08, 2013, 07:49:48 AM
Not having much luck on this one so far! I am sure that somewhere in this lot will lay the answer but not easily accessible:http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=16678&inst_id=127&nv1=browse&nv2=sub
Will keep looking but in cases like this recent history is harder to track down than the older stuff.

I actually lived in the nirses home called Rutland House Bedford Place. I lived there in 1983 around the summer/ autumn time.
I was coming towards the end of my two year enrolled nurse training. Origianlly started at Tadworth, then upto Queen Elisabeths in Hackney Road and then GOS. I hated it at Rutland House. The room was huge but I was separated from the rest of my set who were in the main nurses home at GOS. Eventually I moved there when a room became available. This why I wasnted tk join  this forum as I came across the post about wanting to find out if anyone had ever lived there.

pam157

I started my training in January 1957 along with 27 trembling new students. We spent 3 months in PTS at Rutland House with our two nurse tutors - Sister Garner and Sister Reid (I think if my memory serves me correctly)  First time I had been to London except for my interview when the leader of the local St John Ambulance, of which I was a member, held my hand. I still keep in touch with three of the set - one lives in Australia, two in England and me in Crete. They were good days but hard work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk