News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

School of Nursing / Hospital Training Certificates

Started by johnny4v, March 02, 2022, 04:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny4v

I know there are lots of School of Nursing and Hospital badges about and for sale. It got me thinking about what ever happened to all those  School of Nursing and Hospital Certificates which must have been issued with the badges. I guess such ephemera is very collective too. Do any members collect these? I am sure the design of the certificates are just as interesting as the badges. I wonder what has happened to all the certificates that were issued. It would be nice to see examples photographed on this site.

wilfb

Hi johnny4v,

Absolutely on the button J, there are indeedsome fine examples of hospital GNC certificates in circulation.  But I think that, unlike badges, which are durable, not a great many have suvived the years.  I have an original GNC Cert from 1929 - must have been one of the earlest issued, and of course ther are many others for various qualifications. It is an interesting topic and maybe worth an artical.  But first I will look out that 1929 cert and post it here.  Maybe a few days....

Best.
Will

myk1066

It?s not something I collect unless they come with badges, suffice to say I have one or two certificates/GNC certificates.

nursesue

I  also have a collection of certificates and other ephemera from the GNC and of course the most important ones are my own.

backman

Indeed a neglected area of collecting. Many were not as likely to survive as the badges.
I have tried to pick them up when I've seen them and they are indeed some lovely designs.As with all of it I will have to access my folio case which is in the loft when I can. Am trying to get my camera working now as the computer was out of action and the phone just does quite do them justice.Here are a few old pics.  https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=36611823%40N07&sort=date-taken-desc&text=certificate&view_all=1

johnny4v

Wow! What a lovely collection of Nursing Training Certificates posted by Peter. Thank you for sharing these documents with us. They make very interesting reading. I recall the Director of Nurse Education at The London Hospital telling us we received a Nurse Education first and then a Nurse Training! It was a topic of great discussion amongst student nurses at that time.I remember the heated discussions/debates about Education v Training! The wording on the certificates especially those issued by Hospitals illustrate the hierarchy of those who put their signature on the certificate. It would be interesting to know if todays nurse training in Higher Education Establishments make mention the word "training". The Certificates of Nurse Training along with the Badges are very important to the History of Nurse Training. I think I recall the GNC for England and Wales had a "once in a lifetime fee" of ?5.00 for registration! How times have changed!

Dianne

In relation to GNC registration fees, up until 1948 an annual retention fee was required in order to remain on the register and was then set at 2s 6d .  In 1966 the registration fee was increased to ?6.6.0, the same as the fee for the state final examination, and the first increase since 1951. I have a copy of the Bendall and Raybould, History of the GNC 1919-1969, it's a wonderful source of information. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk