News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Newsham general hospital

Started by Cathy pilkington, January 29, 2021, 05:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathy pilkington

Hi
My name was cathy o'Donnell I started at newsham at 16  as a cadet nurse 1972 ,and started my training 1974 I'm very proud to say one of the last 6 nurses to be newshams own trained they stopped being a training hospital after us i qualified 1976,my mum pat o'Donnell also trained 2 yrs before me she done her training part-time over 3yrs ,it was lovely working on the wards with my mum when  sister smith on I ward dermatology shout nurse o'Donnell we both appeared at her office door ha ha , I went on to marry Mike pilkington (head porter) I have the best memorys of newsham when I tell my kids we had to have our uniforms taken up measured properly in the sewing room we wore capes and our hats had to be spotless and our uniforms were sent to the laundry room and returned to our changing room ,
We had monthly discos in Bessie braddock hall,lovely dinning room we got spoilt, miss kelly (matron) allowed us visit other wards at christmas as long as our patients were looked after which they were ,when I tell others they provided a fresh buffet for day and night staff a tree and alcohol for the staff everyday over christmas local schools going from ward to ward singing Carol's it magic, they respected the staff and showed it ,the nursing care was second to none, not a pressure sore in sight that's what you call real nursing care ,sadly I never saw that level of nursing in any other hospitals I work , I remember when I had my 1st child in oxford street hosp a nurse asked me where I worked I said newsham general she said oh that's where they have servers and waitress service I thought yep they look after us, newsham nurses could lift like dockers but were also warm and very caring the food for the patients was top quality every meal , I was there till they closed its doors in 1988 so sad it was a top QUALITY hospital that run through its staff like Blackpool rock , I am very proud to say I am a newsham generals own ,I wish mobiles were around then to take pictures of the hospital to go with my memorys ,now at 64yrs old  my back hips and knees remind me everyday how hard we worked but it was worth it .

LiverpoolSEN

Great post Cathy. I also have very fond memories of Newsham General as I did part of my SEN training there in 1984 and then returned the finding year to work on Richmond Male A where I stayed until early 1988. There was something unique about the place as it had a character all of its own. I went on to work at other hospitals but none had the same feel or atmosphere. I left nursing in 1991 to train as a social worker. For the last ten years or so I have worked as a tutor, tour guide, and as an author. Still today, I look back on those days in uniform with great affection. Happy times indeed.
David McCormack

kim theilmann

Hello, everyone!

I am having trouble starting a "new topic" so I hope this post is read, just the same.

I am writing a story about my great uncle, who was a resident of Newsham General Hospital in the late 1950's.  I've sent away for his admission records, and learned that he spent time between 1957 and 1959 on the  "A-2"  and "Y-3"  wards.

Can anyone tell me what these wards were for?  Were they general geriatric wards or medical/surgical?  I believe he had part of a lung removed in 1955 by "Dr. Henry."   I am trying to get an idea of what his day-to-day activities might have been.  Were there 2, 4, or 6 people in a ward?  Did student nurses provide care?  Was there a lounge area for residents with a television set or activities?

He died in 1959 from lung cancer and skin cancer.

Any anecdotal information you can provide is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!!

Kim
kimmariefreeman@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk