News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Social Isolation

Started by backman, March 26, 2020, 07:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

The all members in these troubled times,I hope that you all keeping well wherever you are. For those at work I hope the challenges ahead may pass quickly and safely. As a possibly positive aspect of the whole thing perhaps it may enable some of us to reflect on those important things around us in a world that often looses focus?  If the lockdowns do increase perhaps it may even allow some of us to revitilise our collecting and researching passions( but only after I decorate the hallway and kitchen!!)
Who knows our use of technology may even plant the seeds for a video conferencing meet such as Zoom? Anyway we are still around and welcome any interactions from those of you with new found time on your hands?

johnny4v

Like me I see you have not been called back to the front line! Ruth May CNO for England has put a limited on those retired - 3 years. I doubt if she will be of any use to those brave nurses and medics on the front line anyway. Where are they going to get the staff to cover those Nightingale Hospitals? The NHS failed in 2016 in a exercise which showed the NHS failed to meet the standards in a pandemic. So it begs the question of what those in power at NHS England were doing for 2016. It is pitiful to see front line staff not having enough PPE.
Whilst it good to see NHS England in scrubs -( looking the part) it does not help those on the front line. The vacancy factor before this was in the thousands. This should not have been allowed to happen. We are paying for this.

wilfb

Hi.

I agree wholeheartedly with both previous posts. And I do mean whole heartedly.

Both myself and my wife are ex-nurse teachers, now apparently beyond recall age (?), and as Site Amin here I have been working daily to bring the next scheduled news page - delayed by a few days with apologies.  Covid 19 will not be a feature - even though we are both on lock-down on Crete and avidly watch our UK news on TV.  I think that the previous mis-managed UK NHS has a lot to answer for - and the current situation appears to be continuing with ministers and advisors providing misleading figures and estimates on promised future action.

We can but hope that the emergency hospitals can stay on top of the situation - there seems no alternative today.  One friend advised us that there may be emergency repatriation home to the UK - it  would be good to be back with our family - but we feel that our best course is to remain here, avoiding further pressure on our family and UK services. We have all we need in the way of food and medical care (if needed) - so are trying desperately to complete the now overdue SoN news. Maybe something to lighten our reading!

Between writing etc we are cleaning the house here and watching spring take a definite hold in the garden.  Soon (we hope) life will return to normal and our friends here are not rushing the supermarkets to stock up on toilet rolls! 

We can only admire our NHS staff in the UK - we feel for you all.

Will.

johnny4v

hi Will hope you are keeping safe and well. Just seen the BBC News and feel even more anxious for all those brave front line staff. It is astounding that many of them are still without PPE and getting tested for COVID-19. The bureeaucracy surrounding getting supplies to those on the front line is unbelievable. There is more sanitisation of the NHS and Government's briefing than there is sanitiser for those staff on the front line. To all our colleagues - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK WE APPRECIATE AND ADMIRE YOUR COURAGE.

wilfb

johnny4V,

Yes we are OK, many thanks - appreciate your asking, really.

But get this - BBC News today - Families have called on a company providing a phone service for hospital patients to cut their charges during the Covid-19 crisis.

Irene Simpkin, who was charged more than £11 for calling her 87-year-old mother amid a ban on visitors, said Hospedia was "very greedy".

The justice secretary has asked Hospedia to temporarily drop its charges while a Labour MP described the situation as "scandalous".'

I wonder whether the company will reduce charges - or if perhaps it will go broke if it does?  Perhaps it would be better for the government if it was to take over all companies running telephone systems and car parks to nationalise them and ensure all revenues were returned to each hospital involved. Social justice perhaps?

Will

backman

Whilst I am not in much of a position to be called back, My good lady wife has been doing some bank shifts back in ITU and her observations do not fill me with confidence.Being of the age where our training in Infection Control was a rule of Law,I'm afraid I do think things may have been watered down to the point of token gestures.There is little doubt that years of underinvestment in the NHS, by successive governments ,is coming home to roost.I'm sure there will be much soul searching after the event but also fear that clapping and baking cakes, whilst a lovely gesture, do not provide PPE and the skills necessary to cope with what may come.
Anyway I believe that the phrase Stay Safe, which may define 2020, is in order and I shall try and share some interesting diversions.

johnny4v

well said Backman. I agree we who trained shall we say a little time ago - infection control was the rule of law indeed. I recall my own experience and placement on an infection ward for children. It was very strict and the emphasis was on CONTROL. There was no question of PPE in those days and woe -be-tied  any nurse how took any risks or shortcuts in the delivery of care to patients. I am not surprise that the "modern" nursing practice (researched based) puts our nowadays colleagues at risk. It is one thing to appear on telly wearing scrubs and offer sympathy to the families of those nurses who have died and another thing to ensure that our brave colleagues of today have the tools to care for patients without endangering themselves through lack of PPE and testing for Covid-19. I salute those who put themselves at risk and the observations made by those who trained in the days of good infection control and experience. 

wilfb

Hi,

Wasn't it Winifred Hector's Nursing textbook that we had to practically memorize during our PTS (1961)? And not only memorise but demonstrate our proficiency in the practical room in our school before being allowed near a ward?  Nursing observations was an excellent chapter, and I still practice infection control ala Hector all these years later.  When I watch TV telling me how to wash my hands I simply cannot believe how far we have not come!

How much we have forgotten - or simply no longer teach....  Little wonder we have so much trouble 'Staying Safe'.... Or perhaps relying on the modern 'magic bullets' far too much.

Infection control?  Let's just hope that our modern nursing counterparts are getting it right. They should not be in the present position. Perhaps our leaders will now try to 'get it right' - and not revert to the previous cost cutting as soon as it feels safe to do so. Politicians often seem to have very short memories.  I think that we might overcome the present crisis - but what about the next.  Will we be ready I wonder, whenever that comes....

Will.

wilfb

Hi.

I wonder how long this will be online - NHS staff using bin-bags for protection...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52145140

I had trouble getting this news from BBC UK but would ask:-

'IS THIS THE BOTTOM LINE"?

Try cut/paste into your browser if the link is no good.

Will

nursesue

I'm still working albeit in a GP surgery but still at risk as people don't seem to understand "don't come in unless you have an appointment" We're only doing essential work and cervical screening has been put on hold Our GPs are doing telephone consultations one is working from home and one is stuck in India ( until who knows when)so that leaves 2 GPs in the building Our local pharmacies are being swamped and overordering is leading to shortages Our DNs are very busy .... nothing new there We have a dedicated covid hot line so that has relived some of the pressure of phone calls to triage and reception

Wilf I'd  stay in Crete as you're in  a better place I do believe the numbers there are better than the UK
it seems ridiculous that we're being taught to wash our hands and yes infection control needs to be stepped up How I remember the weekend cleaning book as a student nurse

So when this is all over will the NMC issue a thank you badge, will the government increase our salaries, will the NMC not collect our subscriptions for a year or will it be normal service of understaffing and underfunding? Will the SNP stop trying to score points and undermining the UK government but most of all will my hands ever recover ? ooo the relief of handcream at the end of a shift......

take care out there x

wilfb

Oh' Sue,

I do feel for you - take good care....

And yes, we have elected to stay on Crete (now in lock-down too).

You remember the cleaning book!?  I remember the sluice better...

I do like you last observations.  But, no the short memories will come into play as soon as this is over - remember all the preceding infectious disease scares?  Your hands - use something simple.  SNP?  Not English...

Very Best,
Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk