News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

St Thomas’

Started by myk1066, May 05, 2019, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Anyone any ideas about the St Thomas' that gone on sale that looks like a re-strike, item number 273833025489.  It has a stuck on pin to its rear!  We're they always HM Silver, was the badge changed to a base metal latterly?
Mike

wilfb

Hi Myk,

I haven't seen that one yet - will have a look shortly - but I believe that they were all sterling silver. No doubt Peter will know the answer to that...

Best,
Will.

myk1066

I've chatted to the seller, they say they bought it at a car boot.  The seller isn't really clued up about the St Thomas' badge from the conversation I've had with him.  He did say it may be a restrike but who would do a re-strike of this badge?

wilfb

Hi Myk,

Still have not yet got back for a look, "but who would do a restrike of this badge"? 

This begs a much larger question - not especially 'who' but more specifically 'why'?

It really is not difficult these days to restrike a badge - even a St Thomas - given that an original is needed for a near perfect copy. But there is one way left to discriminate an original from a restrike in the case of no 'visible' difference.  Because of this I am not willing to reveal the test - lest the great unworthy use the information to create a perfect restrike. Such is possible.

But more generally the inscriptions - nurse name etc, and provenance should reveal a restrike on close examination if you have a very good original description - or indeed the real McCoy. I believe that our own Peter (backman) has dealt with a couple of unnamed badges - with solid provenance.  He would be much better placed to deal with that and no doubt we will hear from him.

Meanwhile, I will seek out a related article and attach a link herein.

The why is not difficult - money is but one example, but there must be a growing demand for the almost inaccessible (for many) for more economical restrikes where collectors are simply stuck without a particular badge and no prospect of ever obtaining a genuine item. Completing a collection is another example.

I will seek that link and add it herein.

Best.
Will.

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Articles/ACReplicaBadges1.htm

backman

It was bound to happen sooner or later, as Will has stated, because of the high demand which has driven up the cost of originals to an excessive level. A restrike suggests a copy made from an original die to the same high specification, perhaps being knowingly sold as a replica and priced and identified accordingly.A copy is a poorly made cobbled together imitation of the real thing, designed to deceive and make money. I am slightly sceptical of the car boot explanation as we members would surely have come across these before.I fear it may be the first of many and were it being sold for what it is at perhaps the £15-20 mark I don't have a problem with it(Ugly as it is) but when it purports to perhaps be genuine and sells for over £50 then I fear many people might be conned.Just out of interest I did offer to Buy it Now at £10 telling the vendor it was a copy but was strangely declined! I wonder if they might continue to find similar badges at future car boots?
These are made in India or China for a few pounds, as I am often approached by companies offering to manufacture whatever badges I want= COPY. I am however still exploring the possibility of having replicas made from a die I acquired but iam still unsure as to feasibility and cost? To be honest at present I just don't know.

nursesue

I too am convinced its a copy but the price keeps rising and the bidders aren't newbies - so am I missing something??

myk1066

Hi all.  It's at £120 now & the seller has added the finding to the description:-

After many messages and further research it is likely that this badge is not original but an highly accurate re-strike.

I suspect this was known before!

backman

Shocking that people will be conned like that.Buyer Beware.

wilfb

Hi.

It must infringe copyright?  Perhaps someone from St Thomas' will see the listing and object.

Will.

Sarah Rogers

I understand that St Thomas's league has recently closed. So perhaps they aren't watching  in the same way.

wilfb

Hi.

A sad loss certainly...

Best.
Will.

backman

Possibly the responsibility of the Florence Nightingale Foundation,who organise the annual Commemoration Service? https://florence-nightingale-foundation.org.uk

wilfb

Hi.

I Have 'actioned' your suggestion Peter - we will just have to wait and see...  No doubt ebay is aware...

Will.

backman

I cannot believe that this finally sold for £160!!!! Any takers as to how long before another similar copy appears? Perhaps I do need to dig out my die and start doing a bit of home smelting?

barrysutton

I sure that who ever made this copy/restrike/fake didn't one make one of them, as the trouble one would have to go to wouldn't make it worthwhile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk