News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Looking back...

Started by wilfb, April 19, 2019, 08:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi.

November 2OO7 - Issue 1.1 of the SoN News page.  Was it really that long ago....?  And the first column of that very first page said:-

"Welcome to the first news page here at Schools of Nursing.

It seems forever and a day that the idea for this particular site was conceived. The original idea being followed almost immediately by the realization that, although we possessed the necessary background, technical ability and web-space, there was absolutely no way that we could build what will become, in effect, a vast site without outside assistance. A site presenting accurately and comprehensively pre-university nurse  education in the UK - UK schools of nursing from the start to around1995!

The alternative - superficial surface skimming - was simply unthinkable. Such would be an insult to nursing history and the nurses who made it.

Technical help was no problem. Manageable in-house. Although there was the not so obvious amount of work and time involved. That alone was daunting -it still is, though now we are actually on the road and running it feels much easier. Fool's Gold!.... The road ahead has a vanishing point which seems beyond infinity.

The need was for help from other nurses. The people who were part of the making of nursing history. We found this initially in Peter Maleczek -founder and leader of the 'nursing badges' group on the MSN Network. Peter ('backman')supported us unstintingly from the outset and encouraged other members of the nursing badges group to assist - primarily by allowing the use of their photographs of their badge collections. On this score it needs to be recorded that the collections of Peter himself (English, Scottish, and Welsh); the Irish nursing badge collection of Eric Wilkinson; Susan Sullivan and not least by any means, Bill and his collection of Kent nursing badges -plus the other members of the nursing badge group who have offered help - if we have not acknowledged you personally yet, it is only because we have yet to take up your offers (steal your photographs/seek your offered assistance)because (unlike Ali Baba) we only possess a few accomplished thieves.

Or we have not had time to shout for help."

At the time I for one was terrified that the whole thing would go 'bump in the night' and that I would have nowhere to hide!!

I would love to hear what others think of the website as a whole now.

Will.

myk1066

Well I for one, initially sceptical about the site, not really knowing what it had on offer and only using the old MSN site, am so pleased it's developed  into what it is, not just showcasing our badges, but a forum, a chat room, a nursing history site, an information sharing site, a lost & found & swap site.  I for one am grateful it's here and all credit to the forerunner MSN site & the people behind this site and all that goes on that we don't see.

wilfb

Hi.

Thanks for that Myk - I just wish that I knew how to get people talking.

Not that I mind really, I am very content that people visit and make use of our facilities, but being human (I am, I swear!) I do like to hear from others....

Will.

barrysutton

I think its an amazing site and without it my collection would not be what it is today, keep up the good work.

wilfb

Hello Barry,

Many thanks for that - I have always had a secret yearning for Rinteln! But here I am, still among friends. Perhaps one day we might meet... Meanwhile I have further additions for you, having been on holiday, I will add them tomorrow if I may.  You collection is phenomenal!!

Will.

barrysutton

Thank you, my collection is not just Medical/Nursing so I've only got about 300,000 items, one can but try!

wilfb

backman

Before my time but I have done my share of Pay marches (some with a better result than others).Interesting to see that there was still talk of having to mask up in case of disciplinary action from Matrons. Compare with this pre war protests;https://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/15257099565/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk