News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Sense of Humour ?

Started by backman, April 11, 2019, 03:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I was recently talking to a colleague and the conversation got around to the practical jokes we used to indulge in which we wouldn't get away with today.Humour was definitely part of the way we coped with stress and most was relitively mild, and also involving the patients who would laugh along with us.
The most common things I remembered were on the last day of a student placement was the expectation that we might end up in a bath of cold water and  drip our way back to our accommodation! finding KY Jelly in our theatre clogs, being sent to another ward for a "long stand" or some Fallopian tubes, admittting the school of Nursings Skeleton to an empty bed(What's one of those?)
These and many many more helped us cope .What pranks can members admit to on here?

myk1066

I recall putting a house officer in a linen bag and tying it around her neck so all she could do was shuffle on the floor like a slug!  Making a stool out of wheatabix and putting it on a main corridor and watching a nursing officer look at it as she passed by and not say anything.  I remember dressing up as an old man with a latex mask on, going down to the children's ward and scaring the life out of an SEN who ran off the ward!

wilfb

How about a 5cc syringe full of water poking through the pocket of one's white coat ready to spray the legs of any poor nurse who happened by!

We never were caught - though there was much speculation about the water source...

Anon.

backman

A colleague who was a sister had soup put into a vomit bowl  which would be bought to her ,in front of the student nurse, as being from patient x.She would put her finger into the bowl, sniff it and taste it (to the disgust of the student) and declare it negative to blood!

We used to play hospital darts by taking a fine bore syringe needle putting it into a bar of soap to block the hole.We then took a 30 or 50ml syringe of air ,put the needle on and compressed the plunger shooting the needle across the room.Great fun but not recommended for sensible adults.

barrysutton

Whilst walking down the corridor of the old Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot I heard a Warrent Officer say to a lady he passed on the corridor "Morning Nurse" she stopped and said do you realise who I am, yes Ma'am he replied (she was a Brigadier and the Matron) with that the said Warrent officer repeated "Morning Nurse", she was not amused [but in actual fact he was correct she was a nurse].

nursesue

when we worked the nightshift in A&E we used to phone the local police station to get biscuits from the all night garage

backman

Nights seemed to bring out the devil in some of us.One night when the student went for her break,I emptied one shelf of the large linen cupboard, waited until shortly before she returned and climbed in and the others closed the doors.The other staff asked her to fetch some sheets in the unlit corridor cupboard and as she reached in I grasped her arm. The ensuing scream was explained to the patients as just a confused patient.

myk1066

I used to go into the specimen toilet at work where there was a hatch that led int the sluice.  When I knew one of the nurses I worked with was going into the sluice I would go int the specimen toilet, knock the small hatch open and make a gargling sigh noise, promptly followed by a loud scream that could be heard in the A&E Department!  Gave me many a laugh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk